Chapter Forty-four

- Found George... -

After hours of waiting for Minho and the other runner to come back from the maze, I finally see him running out of the maze with his running partner, Ben, following after and I quickly try make my way up to them.

"Hey" I say as I catch up to them "You found anything?" I then ask looking over at Minho as the other Gladers comes up to us now, "I'm so sorry, she-bean..." Minho says as he puts his hands on my shoulders, and I look up at him in shock, "We found his shirt, filled with blood..." Minho explains "I-..." I can feel the tears starting to form in my eyes, my throat getting tight as I try to hold back my emotions. "Hey, you okay?" Theo then steps forwards putting a hand on my back, and I look over at him and nod as I try to wipe away my tears, "I-I'm fine" I lie, not wanting to worry anyone. "I'll be fine" I say before walking off into the deadheads, wanting to be alone for a little while.

As I'm walking around the deadheads, I start collecting sticks, wanting to give George a proper resting place, even tho they didn't find his body, and I start making a gravestone, but with sticks. "Hey" I jump slightly as I hear someone behind me and I turn around to see Billy standing there with George's shirt, that Minho found in the maze, "Jesus... Billy, you scared me there of a sec" I say as Billy kneels down beside me grabbing a stick handing it to me, and we quietly sit there making the grave, before burying the shirt in the middle of where all the other bodies of the other Gladers that either didn't make it up the box, or died in the glade, then putting up the big stick gravestone.

"feels like there's something missing" I say looking at it tilting my head slightly, then looking over at Billy, "Maybe..." he says trailing off as he walks off for a bit leaving me just standing there looking at the grave, before returning back again with a big flat peace of wood, "We could carve his name into this" Billy suggests, as he pulls out a knife.

"Good idea" I say giving him a small smile, as he starts carving 'George' on the peace of wood. "She-bean?!" I then hear someone yell, and I turn around to see Minho running up to us, "There you guys are" he says looking at me and Billy, "hey, what's that?" he then asks pointing the the stick gravestone with a puzzled look on his face. "It's George's grave, we just made it and we're putting his name on this piece of wood to put on top of the grave" I say smiling softly at Minho, as Billy finishes carving George's name into the wood, before handing it to me, and I place it on top of the grave.

"That's nice of you two" Minho says smiling softly at us, before looking back at the grave and staring at it for a bit before looking back at me and Billy, "I'm sure George would've appreciated it" Minho says and I nod my head in agreement, feeling a lump form in my throat as I think about George and all the other Gladers we've lost. "Yeah, he was a good guy" Billy says solemnly, and I can see the sadness in his eyes as he looks at the grave. I place a hand on his shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze, before sighing heavily and looking back at the grave, my heart feeling heavy with grief. "Let's go back to the others now" I say as I turn around making my way back, Minho and Billy following after.