i, eighteen

THE ARMOURY

The rising sun had been too bright that morning. Eyes still heavy from spending half the night tossing and turning after her breakdown. Her face no doubt still clinging onto the slight puffiness of her long passed tears.

She had joined the Commons, Anthony, Dai and some others for breakfast. Soldiers all around, seated at tables and wooden chairs they had dragged from some houses, just like them.

The oatmeal in the bowl in her hands, tasted nothing but repulsive. Though this time it hadn't been her disliking the specific food, but rather the aftertaste of the previous night.

And there was no denying the pair of eyes finding their way to where she had been seated, every now and then. Had been from the men that had seen the last of the fight between the two eldest Mason family members.

Elizabeth was more than grateful neither Anthony or Dai had brought it up. All it would've done was bring the sour mood of last night into today, and she needed anything but.

But the table's attention had soon been diverted to the young voice that inched closer to where they were seated. "Aw, man. Oatmeal again?"

A small smile had appeared on her face before she shoved another spoon into her mouth, Matt had hated it as much as her. Except the younger boy would let the world know how much he hated the food, particularly now they had to repeatedly eat it with lesser options available.

But as fast as her eyes had found Matt, they had fallen back to the bowl in her hands twice at fast upon the notice of the two Mason man by the youngest his side.

Hal mentioned how they'd passed a Denny's on their way here, how maybe they could get him a grand slam. Or well, in a world where the invasion never happened.

But Matt wasn't having any of it. "Bite me."

The table had erupted in grins as Anthony had smiled up at the younger boy, "Not much of a morning person, are you, Matthew?"

"Have you met this family? Us and mornings, that is something else." Andrew and Dai had perked up simultaneously at the twenty year old's statement, vouching for the truth of it. But Matt's voice had been quick to cut through. "Hey, those are family secrets."