i, two

VOID-LIKE

The world was something void-like after they came.

The noise-pollution that once hung over the Earth's atmosphere had been lifted like a lightweight blanket. Everything had gone instantly quiet, when the electromagnetic pulse hit.

No longer children made noise as they ran and played in the streets. They had not yet known it wasn't them hiding, or that they weren't all dead but that most had been taken instead. And even though most cars still worked, the people that made it through the initial invasion wave were often too scared to make a sound and went on foot instead.

The ones that fought back, were either brave or stupid. Brave because one had to be courageous to step up and risk their lives trying to take out at least one of the Skitters. Stupid for that very same reason. Most of the times Skitters weren't alone, and no human survived facing a Mech without signing their own dead warrant trying.

Either way being gone, taken or signed a death warrant to fighting the impossible made no difference for they meant the same in the end, even if that was something she was yet to learn.

The Mason family, or what was left of it, had left their once home three days ago. But now every house they would find, every store they would pass, had been emptied out to the core. Everyone had been scavenging for food, on the run just like them. Seeking for a place safe enough to live to see another day and not run into one of the many Skitter and Mech patrols.

Elizabeth had quickly learned that any person above eighteen would be shot on sight or have their skin torn apart by the Skitters. Why? Maybe she had not wanted to know, what she did know was that they were hunting them down like rabid animals.

Everyone under eighteen would end up paralysed and dragged off, children vanishing into thin air because of them, she'd seen it before. Where or why, she didn't nor wanted to know.

Neither did she know why they had begun to call them Skitters and Mechs, but it was better to give them something to call them than nothing at all. There was no way around them, for they were everywhere and in large numbers too.

Perhaps that's what made the aftermath of the invasion the worst. Fearing to take a wrong turn and look death right in the eyes in the form of extra-terrestrial beings, starving to death or being shot by a fellow human being their other options.