i, three

RICE AND BEANS

There was a silence that hung in the air as they scavenged through the kitchen cabinets, footsteps on the first floor cutting through the silence to be heard downstairs. Fingers digging through the discarded boxes that were left behind, in hopes to find even a little something.

The twenty year old couldn't believe her eyes at what she found in the back of one of the kitchen cabinets. There was no way anyone had missed these, not with the rest of the house not having a last crumb of food left to find.

"Please tell me you're seeing this too." She looked behind her at the blond boy searching the cabinets opposite of her.

The teen turned to his sister to figure out what she'd been talking about, that after all they had found something, "You're kidding."

Her fingers gripped around the bags as she'd taken them out and lay them on countertop one by one, Ben and herself staring down at them like they just hit the jackpot. "That's four two pound bags of rice."

She had smiled at her brother's words, mentioned herself how someone had just left it there like it had been worth nothing but for them to take. Because whoever left it there, she'd been grateful about it. It would provide the family food for days.

"Beans, dad. These people liked beans." Elizabeth looked past Ben to the doorway hearing Matt's voice bouncing off the walls of the house.

"Let's just take a pair of them each," The girl scooped two of them beneath her arm as she pulled her backpack off the counter with the other, "We'll ask dad if he wants to take any."

The siblings had stepped into the hallway around the same time as their dad and Hal had come emerging from the first floor empty handed.

Appearing to Ben's right, the seven year old stood staring down at the beans with aversion, questioning if they couldn't just go to a grocery store instead. "No way, Matt. The Skitters would find us."

Her eyes had moved between the two youngest brothers during their exchange, the young boy mentioning they could go at night instead.

Matt understood the severity of the situation, he really did. But the age he was and how surreal the situation they had been in was, hadn't been the easiest to explain popping into a grocery store was no longer the safest option along with many other things.