Sibling Jealously

Start from the beginning

Charlie: (comforting) Clara, listen, I understand where you're coming from, but maybe you can try to talk to Emily before you judge.

Clara: (nervously) Okay.

Clara leaves the room and walks down the hallway, catching the attention of the radio demon.

Alastor: (calmly) Well, look what we have here, a dear woman concerned for her sister.

Clara: (annoyed) What's it to you?

Alastor: (calmly) Well, as the overlord who's the main reason you and your sister are here, I can't help but be curious.

Clara: (skeptical) And what exactly is your interest in my sister and me?

Alastor: (calmly) Well, I just thought this place might bring the best out of you and your sister after your little unknown... accident.

Clara hesitates to move past Alastor, the sound of a gunshot playing in her mind. Eventually, she does, walking past the radio demon.

-

Elsewhere in the hotel kitchen, Odette watches as Emily puts a pie into the oven.

Odette: (quietly) Remind me why you're cooking a pie?

Emily: (calmly) Well, I thought you would like to try it, maybe get you to talk to everyone else in the hotel.

Odette: (quietly) And you think a pie is going to help?

Emily: (smiling) It's worth a shot, isn't it? Plus, who doesn't love pie?

Odette: (quietly) I actually have never tried pie before.

Emily: (surprised) You're kidding. You told me you never had ice cream, and now you're telling me you haven't tried pie?

Odette: (quietly) So...

Emily: (excitedly) Well, then this will be a treat! You're in for a delicious surprise. Pie is a heavenly dessert, trust me.

Odette: (quietly) I'll take your word for it.

Emily: (excited) Wait here, I'll get some plates.

Emily leaves Odette in the kitchen as she goes into the storage room to find some plates. As she turns the light on, she sees someone sitting on a chair.

Clara: (sternly) We need to talk.

Emily: (calmly) Oh, hi, Clara. Is this about Odette?

Clara: (annoyed) Of course, this is about my sister. Who else would I be talking about?

Emily: (confused) Wait, how did you know I would come in here... You know what, it doesn't matter. What seems to be the issue?

Clara: (firmly) The issue is that I'm concerned about Odette's safety. She almost died because of you, Emily. I don't trust angels, especially ones who bring trouble with them.

Emily: (calmly) I understand your concern, Clara, but you have to trust me. I would never intentionally put Odette in harm's way. I know I'm an angel and-

Clara: (interrupting) You think words are going to persuade me? Odette has been quiet for over a month, barely talking to anyone. Then two days ago, you are able to get her to talk to you without ever having a proper interaction. Sounds a bit fishy if you ask me.

Emily: (defeated) I get it. You don't trust me, Odette almost died trying to defend me because I didn't know how to fight. The reason I wanted to talk to Odette was because I wanted to cheer her up, put a smile on her face. We both know she's been distant from all of us since you two got here. I just... I wanted to be kind.

Clara: (softening) I... I didn't realize. I'm sorry, Emily. I've just been so worried about Odette. She means everything to me, and I can't bear the thought of losing her.

Emily: (sympathetic) I understand, Clara. And I promise you, I will do everything in my power to keep Odette safe. I care about her too, you know.

Clara: (reluctantly) I suppose... I suppose I can give you a chance. But if anything happens to Odette because of you-

Emily: (interrupting) Nothing will. You have my word.

Emily turns to leave until...

Clara: (nervously) Wait, Emily, one last question. Has Odette told you the reason that caused her to go silent?

Emily: (calmly) No, to be honest, I didn't want to ask her. It's not my place to. Why?

Clara: (nervously) Nothing. And Emily, don't tell Odette about this. I don't want her feeling uncomfortable.

Emily: (calmly) Understood.

Emily leaves the room as Clara's thoughts drift into the past, the carmine drowning in guilt for what happened to Odette.

It should have been her.

-

Later in the evening, Clara sits on her bed watching TV when she hears a knock on her door.

She opens the door, only to see her sister hesitantly standing there. For the first time in weeks, Odette speaks to her sister.

Odette: (quietly) May I come in?

Clara: (softly) Of course, Odette. Come in.

Odette steps into the room, looking hesitant and unsure.

Odette: (quietly) Emily suggested I should talk to you.

Clara: (gently) Of course, Odette. You can talk to me about anything. You know that, right?

Odette nods silently, her eyes downcast with shame and guilt.

Clara: (comforting) Listen, how about we watch a movie? I'm sure there's something on TV.

Odette: (quietly) I suppose that would be nice

-

Later in the night, Odette is back in her room, fast asleep, reliving her worst nightmare.

Voice: (mockingly) You know, you're pretty cute with your glasses and coat. How about we-

Before the memory can continue, Odette is able to wake herself up, tears in her eyes.

Why did it have to be her?