CHAPTER THREE : SIGHTSEEING

Azrah awakens to the sounds of birds chirping outside her window, sunlight filtering through the blinds. She sits up, stretches, and begins her day with the morning prayer. Dressed in her colorful jilbab, her black hair cascading down her back, she exudes a natural beauty that radiates from within, unconstrained by cultural boundaries. The white Crocs add a touch of youthful whimsy, complementing her purple jilbab perfectly.

When Nayla calls to her from the hallway, she turns, her smile bright and infectious.
The two young women, bound by a shared faith and a sense of adventure, step out into the vibrant streets of the bustling city. As they walk, the scene around them comes alive—the clatter of street vendors, the chatter of pedestrians, and the occasional blare of a passing vehicle.

Nayla, a stunning contrast to Azrah with her dark complexion and coiled hair wrapped in a sleek turban, can’t help but voice her concerns about Azrah’s attire. "Azrah, don't you think it might be a bit alienating to dress like this in a Western country?
Azrah, unfazed by Nayla’s apprehension, responds with quiet conviction. "Nayla, my choice to wear the hijab is a symbol of my faith, my identity. I'm not afraid to stand out, to be different. Besides, do we really want to conform to societal norms just to fit in?"

Her words, while firm, are not unkind. Nayla, seeing Azrah’s confidence, can't help but admire her resolve. "I guess you have a point there. Your conviction is admirable. But...just be careful out there, okay?
As the two roommates continue their sightseeing adventure, Azrah finds herself in a sea of unfamiliar faces, each person a unique story in their own right. Yet, despite the differences in appearance and culture, Azrah holds her head high, unapologetic in her beliefs, her smile warm and welcoming.

And just as she predicted, she catches the occasional stare or murmured comment, but she doesn't waver, her faith serving as her shield. Nayla, too, notices the attention, but Azrah’s unwavering spirit puts her at ease.
The day progresses in a whirlwind of exploration and wonder as Azrah and Nayla visit the city's bustling marketplaces, sample local delicacies, and marvel at the sights and sounds of this unfamiliar place. As the sun starts to set, they find themselves perched atop a hill overlooking the cityscape, the twinkling lights casting a mesmerizing glow over the horizon.

"Look at that view, Nayla! Subhan Allah, it's breathtaking!" Azrah exclaims, her heart filled with awe at the beauty before her. "I know, right?
"It's like the whole city is just sparkling," Nayla replies, eyes dancing over the sea of lights. "And you know what’s even more incredible? I think this is just the beginning. We’ve got so much more to explore and experience."

Azrah nods, feeling a flutter of excitement in her chest. "You're right, Nayla. This city, this country, this world—it's all a new chapter waiting to be written. And I'm ready to dive in."
As the conversation between Azrah and Nayla comes to a close, they begin to make their way back to the campus, their eyes still sparkling with the wonder of the cityscape.

As they walk, Azrah takes a moment to reflect on the events of the day. "You know, Nayla, I'm glad you came with me today. It was nice to have someone else here who understands what it’s like to be a Muslim in a place like this."

Nayla smiles warmly, “That’s what friends are for, Azrah.
As they returned to campus, Azrah and Nayla were struck by the sheer vastness of the library. "This library is absolutely magnificent!" exclaimed Nayla as she gazed upon the endless shelves of books. "The furniture is so exquisite, it's as if the entire space was crafted with the utmost care."

The two women continued their exploration of the campus, marveling at its many features and sights. Eventually, they decided to purchase some food from the cafeteria. On their way back to the dormitory, they encountered two fellow students who appeared to be struggling with their luggage.
Azrah, ever the helpful soul, asked, "Which room are you heading towards?" The two girls, who introduced themselves as Williams Georgia and Scarlett Johansson, replied that they were bound for Room 6, coincidentally the same room that Azrah and Nayla occupied.

"Well, that's a pleasant coincidence!" exclaimed Nayla, as Azrah offered to assist the two girls with their belongings. They made their way to the dormitory, where they found their roommate, Laura, dancing and grooving to music from her phone.
Azrah, being mindful of their new guests, politely requested that Laura turn down the music. “Laura, dear, we’ve got some new friends with us!”

Laura, caught up in the rhythm, paused her song before turning to face the group with a broad smile. “Oh, hey there, ladies! Welcome to our humble abode!”

Introductions were made, and everyone became fast friends. As the day wore on, Azrah inquired if Laura had any food, but the latter had not yet ventured out to the cafeteria.
With the newcomers settling in, Azrah, Nayla, and Laura decided to enjoy their spaghetti and Moxie, relishing in the camaraderie of their new, albeit diverse group.

The following day, which marked the start of classes, saw the girls preparing for the upcoming adventure. With their school supplies in hand, they embarked on their new journey with a mix of excitement and apprehension.