CHAPTER TWO : ARRIVAL

Azrah's journey from Russia to the United Kingdom marks the beginning of a new chapter in her life, as she steps into the grandeur of the Rashford Academy, a bastion of talent and ambition. The collision with Rashel, an inquisitive local, offers a first glimpse into the cultural differences Azrah will face in this new setting. Their conversation reveals Rashel’s curiosity about Azrah’s dress and religious beliefs, introducing the theme of cultural integration and acceptance that will undoubtedly play a role in Azrah’s story.

As Azrah stands in front of the school gate, her eyes widen in awe. The Rashford Academy is a grand and ornate structure, exuding prestige and promise. Lost in her fascination, she fails to notice a figure approaching and collides with Rashel, a local student.

“Hey, watch where you're going, will ya?” Rashel snaps, her tone harsh.
Azrah, flustered, stumbles over her words. "Subhan Allah! Sorry, there."

Rashel gives her an incredulous look. "Wtf, what kind of language did you just speak, and what are you even wearing? You're not from here, right?"

“Oh, that—it was an exclamation in Arabic. I'm a Muslim, and I'm from Russia. I just arrived and I'm trying to find my way to the documentation office. By the way, I'm Azrah. And you?"
"Rashel. Nice to meet you. If you don't mind, we can go look for the office together. I'm heading that way anyway," Rashel says, her curiosity piqued.

As they start walking together, she can't help but ask more questions. "So, what’s this thing you're wearing? You look really different from everyone else. And how can you be comfortable in this?" She gestures at Azrah’s hijab.

Azrah smiles. “Which question do you want me to answer first? One at a time.”
"All of them! I’m curious," Rashel replies eagerly.

Azrah chuckles. "Alright, first, this is called a jilbab in Arabic. It's a religious garment that I wear as a Muslim, because it's a command from Allah, which means 'God.' The hijab, or headscarf, is also a part of that dress code for Muslim women. It's a way of showing our devotion to our faith and maintaining our modesty."

Rashel nods, her face still contorted in a slight frown, as if she's trying to process this new information.
“And why is that important to you? Like, why do you need to show that you're devoted to your religion?” Rashel asks, her genuine interest in Azrah’s culture now apparent.

"It's important to me because it’s part of who I am. My faith gives me a sense of purpose and guides me in my daily life. And as for modesty, it's about more than just what I wear—it’s a way of living that values character, kindness, and humility.” Azrah explains.

"I see". After they finish their discussion, Azrah and Rashel finally arrive at the documentation office. They do their registration and are given room assignments: Azrah in Room 6, and Rashel in Room 5, just opposite. It’s time for Azrah to meet her new roommates.
Gathering her bags and her courage, Azrah heads to Room 6 and knocks gently on the door.

"Salaam alaikum," she greets, her voice soft but eager.

A young woman with short hair and glasses, presumably Nayla, opens the door and greets her warmly, "Wa alaikum salaam, Azrah. Welcome!"

Stepping inside, Azrah takes in her new home, a comfortable yet modest space with two bunk beds and a shared desk. There's one other girl in the room, sitting on her bed, seemingly absorbed in her phone.

Azrah arranged her luggages in her space, observe her evening prayer and later went to the bathroom to have a bath. Azrah returns from the bathroom, her skin still radiating with warmth from the shower. She changes into her pajamas, the soft fabric a comforting reminder of home.

Her stomach grumbles as she opens the container her mother had packed with such love and care. The fragrant aroma of her mother's cooking wafts through the air, a hint of familiarity in this new environment.

"I'm so hungry and tired," Azrah says, her voice a touch weary but still brimming with excitement for this new adventure.
"Anyone care for some?" she offers the food to her roommates.

Nayla politely declines, saying, "No, thank you. I already ate before you arrived."

Azrah nods, "Alright, then, I guess more for me." She takes a bite, savoring the taste of her mother's cooking, a bittersweet reminder of home.

Then, with genuine curiosity, she turns to Nayla, "So, Nayla, are you a Muslim? You responded to my salaam earlier on, so I was wondering."
Nayla smiles warmly, "Yes, I am. My mom is a Muslim from Turkey, while my dad was a Christian. He passed away when I was ten, and after that, I decided to follow my mother's religion. But we continued to live here in the UK."

"Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss," Azrah says, her voice soft with sympathy. "May he rest in peace."

Laura, who had been quietly listening from her bed, abruptly says, "Alright, enough with the chitchat. I'm trying to catch some sleep over here."
Azrah and Nayla chuckle softly at Laura’s curt interjection, recognizing that their roommate prefers quiet over conversation.

As the night falls upon the dorm, Azrah finishes her meal and crawls into bed, adjusting her position until she's comfortable. Sleep, however, doesn't come easily, as she finds herself staring at the ceiling, the shadows cast by the flickering street lamp outside her window dancing across the room.

Her mind races with thoughts of home, of her mother and sister, and the vastness of this new opportunity stretching out before her.