Chapter Two: Court of Torment

*Trigger Warning: Rape and Assault*

As I lay curled in the cold confines of my cell, a whisper of unease tugs at the edges of my consciousness. The Void, ever vigilant within me, stirs with a sense of urgency, its presence a silent warning that something is amiss. Though still shrouded in the haze of sleep, I feel a faint tingling sensation coursing through my veins, a subtle shift in the suffocating grip of the suppressant that lingers within me from days ago.

Wake up! The Void screams into my mind.

With a jolt, I snap awake, my senses sharpening as I struggle to shake off the remnants of slumber. The air feels heavy with anticipation, every breath tinged with the faintest hint of dread.

"What could you possibly want this late," I hiss silently hoping to not wake the guards.

It isn't late child. The High Sorceress is at work for the dark skies. I feel her aura all the way from here, can't you?

I push myself upright, the chains that bind me clinking softly as I move. With the Void's urgent warning echoing in my mind, I strain to attune myself to the Weave, reaching out with senses honed by years of practice and desperation. The air crackles with a palpable tension, the faint hum of magic lingering on the edges of my perception. Closing my eyes, I concentrate, searching for the elusive threads of power that weave through the fabric of reality. And then, like a bolt of lightning striking through the darkness, I feel it—a surge of energy pulsating through the Weave, vibrant and alive with the unmistakable signature of the High Sorceress.

A shiver runs down my spine as I sense her presence, a potent force that ripples through the ether like a tempest on the horizon. Though she may be miles away, her aura permeates the very air around me, a tangible reminder of her influence over the world.

But beneath the surface of her power, I detect something else—a shadow lurking amidst the brilliance of her magic, a darkness that twists and writhes like a serpent in the depths of my mind. It isn't like my own, this darkness is cold, a force calling for my soul.

Kali! Stay away from that. The Void hisses to me. Death's shadow is not something to play with. If he is lingering here then something dreadful is happening in these castle walls.

As the warning from the Void reverberates through my mind, I pause, my heart quickening with a mixture of apprehension and curiosity. Death's shadow—an ominous presence that sends a chill down my spine even as it beckons to me with an irresistible allure. I know better than to trifle with such dark forces, yet the temptation to explore the depths of the unknown tugs at the edges of my consciousness.

With a silent vow to heed the Void's cautionary words, I steel myself against the tantalizing call of Death's shadow, pushing aside the lingering tendrils of curiosity that threaten to ensnare me. Though the darkness may hold secrets untold, I dare not venture too close, lest I risk losing myself in its icy embrace.

Gritting my teeth against the surge of temptation, I force myself to focus on the task at hand, banishing thoughts of Death's shadow from my mind as I turn my attention to the High Sorceress's looming presence. Though her aura may be distant, its effects are palpable, casting a long shadow over the castle walls and stirring whispers of unease among those who dwell within.

"It's only been five days since she last summoned me. It's too soon for her to want me back for more tests." I grimaced at the word.

I can still feel the cold sting of metal against my skin, hear the echoing whispers of incantations muttered in hushed tones, taste the bitter tang of potions forced down my throat against my will. There were countless times when the High Sorceress subjected me to her twisted experiments, each one more harrowing than the last. She probed and prodded, seeking to unravel the mysteries of the Void that lurked within me, heedless of the pain and suffering she inflicted in her relentless pursuit of knowledge.