chapter 33; secrets

Start from the beginning

Despite the challenges, a strong bond with Historia emerged as you tackled these issues together. However, her dedication to opening an orphanage for the homeless children of the Walls often left you shouldering the governance alone. Days turned into weeks, and weeks into months of relentless duty, with meetings stretching into the night and rarely concluding with resolution. The weight of responsibility began taking its toll, leaving you yearning for respite amid the unending demands.

Amidst the turmoil, visits from friends provided a beacon of relief. Erwin's calm demeanor and wise counsel offered stability amidst the ever-changing landscape of the palace. Conversations over tea became a cherished respite, offering moments of clarity amidst the chaos.

Hange made frequent appearances as well. Her visits were never short of excitement and usually ended in spontaneous nights out. The bars became your hangout, a place to unwind and catch up. Through shared laughter and perhaps one too many drinks, Hange kept you up to date with the latest news about your friends and the Scouts, offering a much-needed reprieve from the pace of palace life.

Then, there was Levi whose visits, though infrequent, were precious moments of relaxation in the whirlwind of your responsibilities. Historia had asked him to become involved with the orphanage, due to his upbringing in the Underground. He was sometimes called to the palace for meetings regarding this, but the brevity of his stays didn't dampen the warmth that enveloped you when he was around. In those stolen moments, the two of you engaged in a mix of light banter, shared laughter, as well as some long nights spent in each other's bedrooms.

When duty separated you, the exchange of letters became a lifeline. You wrote to each other quite often, the words being a testament to your companionship that transcended physical distance. You wrote about palace duties, as well as gossip. Levi kept his letters brief, in his usual quiet fashion, but he always managed to respond in a timely manner.

Occasionally, he would share anecdotes from his interactions at the orphanage, offering glimpses into the lives of the children there. Despite his gruff exterior, it was evident that Levi cared deeply for those kids. The dichotomy between his stern personality and the gentleness he displayed toward the orphans never ceased to amaze you.

However, despite your seemingly successful work ethic, you often found yourself lonely. You missed the action like hell. Yes, it was noble that you were helping to rebuild the monarchy, like your ancestors did, but you were starting to feel like you weren't cut out for this kind of work.

You knew you were free to come and go as you please, but you never got a break long enough to travel further than the outskirts of Mitras. You missed flying through the air with the wind on your face, the feel of riding on horseback across open fields, you missed the top of the walls, you missed the night Levi took you up there. You missed everything.

When everything became all too much to handle, the palace garden became a haven of tranquility—a sanctuary where the hustle of courtly life could be momentarily silenced. When you weren't navigating the demands of meetings, paperwork, or social obligations, you sought solace in the quiet corners of this lush spot.

The peaceful atmosphere of the garden and the endless stream of your thoughts was disrupted by the gentle footsteps of Historia, her presence imbued with a warmth that radiated friendliness. You welcomed her with a soft smile and respectful nod of your head as she approached.

"Knew I'd find you here," she said, her tone genuine as she sat herself on the bench beside you, releasing a sigh.

You returned her sentiment with a warm smile, recognizing the fatigue that lingered beneath her composed facade. "Good to see you too, Historia. How was your time at the orphanage?" you asked.

Historia waved her hand, "Let's not talk about work right now. I came here to get away from it, actually."

You laughed at her honesty, "Well, you found the right place."

Historia let go of her regal poise, once she confirmed that it was just the two of you. You watched her shoulders slouch a little as she let out a resigned sigh. "So," she began, changing the subject, "Have you received any new letters from Levi?" She asked.

The two of you tried to find times where you could escape the formalities of the palace together and talk about more frivolous things, such as who in the court you suspected to have a crush on each other, similar distastes for certain officials, and of course, your blossoming bond with Levi.

Your smile faltered at the mention of his name, but you kept your composure. "Um, no, actually. I haven't." You said, turning your focus away from Historia in thought. "In fact, it's been longer than usual since I got a letter from him."

That's another issue that brought you out here today. For some reason, you had gone a few weeks now without hearing from Levi. It's not like you stopped writing to him, so the silence was uncharacteristic. However, when you thought about it for too long, you began to worry that something might have happened to him, so you've been pushing the thought away

"Hmm." Historia said, with a look of confusion on her face. "That's weird, I just saw him last week at the orphanage. He seemed to be doing fine." She observed.

"Oh..." You said, a sinking feeling rising in your stomach. If he was okay, then why hadn't he written to you? Something was off.

Historia, sensing your discomfort, placed her hand over yours in sympathy, "I'm sure he's just busy with being Erwin's yes-man. Don't think too much about it."

You tried to offer an appreciative look, but it left your face quickly, as you returned to your thoughts. Historia, however, did not seem to pick up on this, and simply continued to gaze off into the garden, soaking up the silence.

"Well," Historia said, clearing her throat and standing up. "I appreciated this momentary escape, but I unfortunately have a meeting to attend to." She said with a sigh.

"Ah, a meeting? Let me come with you, then." You made a move to stand up, but Historia quickly waved her hands in dismissal.

"Oh, there's no need." She said quickly, and you could feel her demeanor change to one of nervousness. "You've done so much in my absence, so please, sit and rest a little longer!" She offered a faux smile.

You slowly sat back down, alarmed at her sudden display. "Okay..." You said, not hiding your suspicion. Historia laughed it off, chalking her weird behavior up to tiredness. She said her goodbyes, and made her departure, but as you watched her walk away, you couldn't shake the feeling that something was being hidden from you.