twelve

chapter twelve: an audience with hades

~

The Fields of Asphodel were vast and almost horrifyingly bleak. Masses of people stood around, packed like sardines and were almost completely silent. They would make the smallest of whispers that sounded like complete gibberish to River's ears.

The grass beneath them was charcoal black and so were the poplars that grew in clumps around the field. The stalactites hovered high above them, threatening to fall down and impale the group of kids.

River was hunching down as she followed just behind Percy, her hand clutching onto the back of his shirt. They were heading towards a black-tented pavilion with a banner that read: 'Judgments for Elysium and Eternal Damnation. Welcome, newly deceased!'

More and more lines were packed around, waiting to get in. It reminded River of a music festival, only there was no music, and everyone was unhappy. It definitely put a damper on her positivity. The unending darkness of the Underworld didn't do much to help either. She usually thrived on the sunshine as a sun god's child.

River perked up when she caught a glance of Elysium. It was a happy valley filled with beautiful homes and shining flowers. Rainbows were cast over the grass and she could hear joyous laughter.

"That's what it's all about," Annabeth said, "That's the place for heroes."

River didn't really want to think about what she'd have to do to get there. There was a reason Elysium was so unpopulated. Even people they might have considered heroes weren't guaranteed entrance.

"I suppose it's too late to turn back," Grover said as they spotted a black palace on the dark horizon.

"We'll be ok," Percy said unconfidently, feeling River fist the fabric of his shirt tighter.

"Maybe we should search some of the other places first. Like, Elysium, for instance," Grover suggested.

Annabeth grabbed his arm, "Come on, goat boy."

Grover yelped as his shoes suddenly sprouted their wings and he was lurched forward, landing flat on the grass.

River gave him a look of concern, "Are you ok?"

"Grover, stop messing around," Annabeth scolded.

"But I didn't-" Grover was dragged away by his shoes once more, this time more strongly, "Maia! Maia, already! 911! Help!"

Percy lunged forward to grab Grover's hand, but it was already too late. Grover was being dragged down the hill. River was the first to sprint after him, hoping she would catch up in time.

"Untie the shoes!" Annabeth shouted.

Grover tried his best to sit up and grab at the laces, but it was too difficult for him to reach as they kept dragging him away. Grover soon veered to the right, continuing down the slope and into a side tunnel.