nine

chapter nine: lotus' aren't that sweet

~

By the time they got back to the diner parking lot, Ares was waiting for them. He looked smug to see the states they were in. With River still soaked to the bone, slightly shivering in the cold night air, and Percy not looking much better.

"Well, well. You didn't get yourself killed."

Percy crossed his arms, "You knew it was a trap."

Ares grinned, "Bet that crippled blacksmith was surprised when he netted a couple of stupid kids. You looked good on TV."

River, being who she was and not understanding it was an insult, looked flattered, "Thank you. I was hoping I didn't look too-"

"You're a jerk," Percy cut her off, grabbing the shield from River and shoving it at the god.

Ares grabbed the shield and spun it in the air. It changed form, melting into a bulletproof vest that he slung across his back.

River thought he looked as cool as ever, and she had the sneaking suspicion that he thought so too. Area may have been brash, overconfident, and aggressive, but he wasn't without style. And style was something she could appreciate.

Ares pointed back to an eighteen wheeler parked across the street, "See that truck over there? That's your ride. Take you straight to L.A., with one stop in Vegas."

The eighteen wheeler had a sign on the back that was reverse-printed white on black, making it easier for the dyslexic demigods to read. 'Kindness International: Humane Zoo Transport. Warning: Live Wild Animals.'

"You're kidding," Percy said.

Ares snapped his fingers and the back door opened up, "Free ride west, punk. Stop complaining. And here's a little something for doing the job."

Ares tossed a blue nylon backpack to Percy. Inside was fresh clothes, twenty dollars, a pouch full of golden drachmas, and a bag of double stuffed Oreos.

"Ooh, I love Oreos," River whispered, eyeing the bag greedily.

"I don't want your lousy-"

Grover cut Percy off, "Thank you, Lord Ares. Thanks a lot."

"Yeah, thank you Ares!" River added with a bright smile.

Percy finally just slung the backpack over his shoulder, "You owe me one more thing. You promised me information about my mother."

"You sure you can handle the news?" Ares started up his motorcycle, "She's not dead."

River let out a small breath of relief. Of all the trials and tribulations they had faced thus far on their quest, it was good to know that there was one good thing hiding beneath it all. Percy's mother was alive, and there was a chance they could save her. She may not know the woman, but she was important to Percy, so in turn, she was important to River.