two

chapter two: the forbidden son

~

River had been playing the violin since she was 5 years old. Her mother had always encouraged creativity to fly in her house. Painting, crafting, playing instruments. Perhaps that was one thing that had been so attractive about Natalia Anise to Apollo and vice versa.

River had picked up the instrument and had been a natural at it. By the time she was 7, people had considered her a prodigy of sorts. They knew she would be playing in symphonies and on stages in no time. That was her dream. River wanted to compose her own music. Or maybe write a play and perform in it. The point being that she wanted to tell the grandest story the world had ever heard. She never thought the grand story she was going to tell was one she would have to experience first.

River hadn't understood Annabeth's obsession with going on a quest, but after meeting him, she did understand Annabeth's obsession with following Percy Jackson around. But, unlike her friend, she preferred getting close rather than remaining afar.

River seemed to skip over to Percy as he wandered around awkwardly behind Luke, still being forced to remain with the Hermes children as he was unclaimed.

"Hi Percy!" River greeted him enthusiastically.

Percy nearly jumped at the ringing in his ears from the loud sing song voice the odd girl had let out. He automatically looked to Luke for help, but the son of Hermes would only laugh and step aside for River.

"Morning, River," Luke said.

River sent him a sunny grin, "Hey, Luke! Are you excited for the game?"

"I'm ready for it."

Percy looked confused by the conversation topic, but all those thoughts slipped away as River hooked her arm in his and began to drag him forward.

"So, I was thinking I could show you the arts and crafts area! I'm sure you might've already seen it, but, like, I started this super cool painting today and I need to show someone!"

"I think I already see it," Percy muttered, feeling the crust of the dried paint of flowers on her arm flake off and stick to his jeans and trail on the floor.

"How? Can you see through walls? That's so cool! I've never met anyone who could do that! What's going on in the Ares cabin?" River smiled, not hearing the sarcasm in the boy's tone.

Percy blinked in exasperated confusion, "...I can't see through walls."

"Oh...well anyway! I'm painting a portrait of Perseus. I heard your name and thought of him. Obviously you must've been named after him. But I thought it'd be fun, cause I think you're super cool, you know?"

Now Percy was getting flustered. He'd never been this close to a girl other than his mom before, let alone one who actually seemed to like him.

"Are you an Apollo kid?" Percy wondered.