one

chapter one: the golden midas

~

The powers of a demigod are vast and strange, usually dependent on their godly heritage. Children of Aphrodite could charm anyone with just their voice and were incredibly beautiful. Children of Ares were strong and had amazing fighting abilities. River Anise, amongst other abilities bestowed upon her by her father Apollo, had the distinct power of being likable. At least, that's what people told her.

It had become a near proven fact after she was able to befriend the daughter of Ares, Clarisse, only one week into her stay at Camp Half Blood. River liked to chalk it up to her persistence, but others said it was a godly ability. Then again when she wormed her way into Annabeth's heart after accidentally helping her win capture the flag by tripping over a rock and causing both herself and a boy from the opposing team to fall into the river.

By the end of her first year at camp, it was a proven fact that it was impossible to hate this clumsy, joyful girl and Percy Jackson was no exception to this fact.

The first time River Anise had met Percy Jackson was a shock. Literally. River had only wanted to use the restroom when she bumped into him just as he was running out of it. They had jumped back in pain as if they had been electrocuted. Like the feeling of water meeting electricity. He had begun running away before he could even comprehend what had happened and she had been too preoccupied by the sight of the angry Ares children covered in toilet water. She had soon forgotten about the blue-eyed boy in lieu of calming down Clarisse LaRue for the next 2 and a half hours, not something many people could pull off, but River Anise could.

The second time she met him sealed the deal. A spar between the newest untrained member of Camp Half Blood and the girl who once sobbed when she accidentally stepped on a bee.

It was sunny as it neared midday, though the light only peered through the tall trees of the forest in small rays. River had hated fighting, even if she was exceptionally good at it due to her demigod status. She had struggled the whole way as Luke Castellan nudged her into the training arena.

"-But I really don't want to, Luke. I was just finishing my composition for my thing that I have. You know, the thing I was gonna do for band back at home. And my mom really wanted to talk to me and I only have the time right now, so like-" the incessant rambling of the colorful girl stopped as soon as Luke made one last shove to push her in the arena.

Percy Jackson was met with a strange sight. The girl who had been placed before him was unlike anyone he had ever seen before, and his best friend had goat legs. Her straw colored hair was set in two plaits, though it was hardly neat as it frizzed out wildly, some pieces covered in various colors of paint. Her eyes were the color of moss and were open wide as if she was a deer in headlights. What really caught his attention was the decorations on her skin. Small paintings covered her hands, up her arms were sharpie doodles and little stickers of flowers and stars. She looked like she had been stuck in a nursery with artistic children as a form of torture.