Chapter 49: Shadow Garden

Start from the beginning

"Giratina," I intoned. "You finally show your face to me."

A twinkle of emotion crossed its eyes. "I have been waiting for you for a long time. It seems that my messages have reached you."

"You have a lot you have to tell me," I said, crossing my arms.

"You want answers, I understand," Giratina said sincerely. "Ask away. I promise you I will answer your questions as long as the information will not put you in danger."

I nodded. "First of all, where are we?"

"Ah, this place?" Giratina chuckled. "I call this the Shadow Garden. Where all my Chosen Ones gather their souls. It is located in the Distortion Realm, my domain."

The Shadow Garden was a floating island in the middle of the void-like expanse. The sky surrounding us was black that flickered with ghastly purple lights. Various types of flowers bordered a paved pathway of gray stone. Their colors were dark and gritty, ranging from the deepest shades of black, to the color of amethysts. It was a sight that was as beautiful as it was dreadful.

Standing at the back of the island was a cabin made out of onyx-colored wood. Torches that glowed with Will-O-Wisps were hung all around the walls.

I had no idea where the Distortion Realm was, but it was obviously a different dimension than I was used to.

I looked around, my eyes wide. "Wait, they're here? Where?"

Giratina chuckled boomingly. "They won't appear until you meet them."

"How would I meet them if they're dead?"

"They are watching you and your accomplishments. They will come to you when they think you're ready."

My eyes narrowed. "Everyone here was a villain, right?"

Giratina sighed tiredly, its expression darkening. "I am ashamed to admit this, but yes, every Chosen One of mine has committed atrocities that put the entire universe at risk. It was my fault. I was bitter and angry. I was spiteful. I hated Arceus and its Chosen Ones. But they are always destined to win. And we are always destined to lose."

"Then why do you think I can do anything?"

"Because like you, I have a hope that you exist outside of fate. That with your own strength you can restore the honor of the legacy you have inherited. I didn't choose you randomly; my Chosen Ones have always been of your bloodline. You are the one that will redeem it." Giratina's crimson eyes flashed with pride. "I have seen you. I have faith in you."

A warm feeling blossomed in my heart. "You've always been watching over me, huh?"

"Since the day you were born," Giratina admitted. "Your mother gave me to you. I sent her a vision when she was pregnant with you. I am her bloodline's patron—I have always been."

"Wait... so Cynthia gave me to you?"

"I know you resent her. I don't know why she neglected you like that." Giratina sighed. "But you will need her. Because of her strength and because of what I gave her."

My expression darkened. "What did you give her?"

"One of the Plates. The Ghost-type one. I wanted to talk to you about them," it explained.

"You gave her one of the Plates?" I sighed, clenching my fists. "Why?"

"To safeguard it. Our enemies want to collect them. Their leader has already defeated Arceus, and I'm holding the other off. I cannot win, but I can buy you time. Keep in mind, if it discovers I don't have any Plates, it will come after you and tear down everything in its path."