220: No Escaping a Topsy-turvy Fate

If Reno weren't unconscious, Lin Sanjiu would have suspected another of his almanac pages had cursed her. "So, my energies for the day make it unsuitable for me to be outside?" Lin Sanjiu watched from afar as the four members of the team dispersed. "I don't even know them. Why are they after me?"

Lin Sanjiu didn't know anyone on that team. They were total strangers to her. Yet, when she saw how they methodically searched every inch of their surroundings, almost adamant to find her, she couldn't help feeling that they were targeting her on purpose.

'Didn't they just spot me from afar?' Lin Sanjiu thought. If she was still in her own body, Lin Sanjiu wouldn't be that wary about fighting them. Even if she couldn't win, she could run away. However, she did not have any weapons or Special Items now. She didn't even have her body! On the other hand, those people seemed to be well-equipped and well-trained. There was no way she could defeat them. To make things worse, she had the two burdens behind her to protect.

"Is this alright?" Mrs. Manas asked worriedly in Lin Sanjiu's mind after looking at the kids.

"I don't have any other choice," Lin Sanjiu answered as she scanned the area around the pharmacy store once. Noting that the four-man team had not closed in on them, she immediately stuffed Rena's legs into a cupboard as if trying to stuff a winter blanket back into its storage spot.

Even though this sounds weird—that was the last part of Rena's body that Lin Sanjiu had to conceal. Before Rena's legs fell out of the cupboard, Lin Sanjiu closed the door. She felt like a murderer hiding a victim.

"If I am alone, I can just run away. Worst come to worst, I would just fly. I don't believe they can't suddenly fly. But I feel very worried for the kids if I just leave them out there." Even though Lin Sanjiu did well, she didn't choose a suitable place to hide these two patients. She squished Rena into a ball and hid the girl in a cupboard. But the store was too small, so she couldn't find another hiding place for Reno. Lin Sanjiu could only compromise when she placed Reno in a corner of the store without trying to hide him. With some tattered fabrics from his pants, she painted his face with blood. After her makeover, Reno, who sat slumped in the corner of the store, didn't block the passageway and looked like just another corpse.

"I'll have to leave the rest to fate. Since they're coming for me, I don't think they will make things difficult for the kids." Lin Sanjiu sighed lightly and drifted out of the backdoor stealthily.

Even though she did not stop scanning the area around her, she could not track them all. She couldn't see their movements whenever the men were in cover or walked into any buildings. After waiting a few minutes, a blond man armed with a machine gun came out from the opposite shop. Finally, he was heading to that pharmacy store.

When he entered the store, Lin Sanjiu captured his face clearly in her scanning range. The person who had destroyed the slithering woman seemed to be this man. Though his ballistic eyewear covered almost half his face, she could see that the man behind those lenses was quite handsome. He was about thirty and had broad shoulders and rippling muscles. His facial features were sharp and distinct, the type to leave a lasting impression.

When the blond man placed one foot at the entrance and scanned the store, he withdrew and stopped. Lin Sanjiu immediately tensed up; she kept her 'eyes' on him.

The crucial part only came when he entered the store. The blond man stood for a while outside the store. He didn't enter the store impulsively. Instead, he pressed a few buttons on his eyewear. In just one second, he immediately turned to look at Reno, who was lying in the corner of the store.

"That eyewear has thermal imaging!" Lin Sanjiu understood immediately, feeling silently a little shocked. Even though Reno's breathing was so shallow that it was almost undetectable, his body temperature glowed like a beacon in the dark. He was impossible to miss. When Lin Sanjiu saw the blond man walking toward Reno, she became desperate. At that moment, she didn't think too much. And just smashed her head against the back door.