199: Common Etiquette? It Feels Like Eighth-Grader Syndrome

When a brain tries to act dumb, it shouldn't be that easy to figure out.

Lin Sanjiu quickly erased the words and returned to her brain shape. Puzzled by their actions, she floated up and down on the spot before making a "?" symbol.

"Don't play dumb!" Rena bounced, eager to jab the brain a few times. "Who do you think you're fooling? You were about to form two more letters. That means your full name has nine letters!"

Lin Sanjiu had to segregate her brain into the right number of alphabets before spelling out the words she wanted, leading to that mistake. She didn't expect Rena to be that sharp. She floated in mid-air for some time, wondering how they would come to know her name but remained silent.

"You're Lin Sanjiu, aren't you? Since you're female, I'm sure your parents wouldn't call you Lin Sanj; that sounds too weird." Reno leaned in closely too. Their large faces loomed above her.

Realizing further denial was futile, Lin Sanjiu grew anxious. If the siblings were from the Twelve Worlds Centrum, they likely knew her name because of Puppeteer. She hadn't anticipated that this chance meeting with them would involve Puppeteer.

As she pondered her escape options, Rena, who must have taken her silence as a confirmation of identity, suddenly exclaimed, "Wow!" Her eyes sparkled excitedly as if she were in the presence of a legendary story character.

Reno almost patted her and said jovially, "That's great! Hahaha!"

The grayish brain quickly sank, avoiding the boy's palm. Then, it made a question mark again. Lin Sanjiu could tell from their reaction that they meant her no harm.

The siblings exchanged glances and abruptly shifted to serious expressions, dropping their laughter and adopting solemn demeanors, as if preparing to make an announcement.

"This is just standard etiquette, don't worry," Reno reassured Lin Sanjiu, giving her a heads-up. Surprised, Lin Sanjiu nodded in response.

Rena took the lead, gracefully executing a curtsy reminiscent of old European court etiquette, introducing herself with formality, "I am Rena, a member of the Progressor Alliance, Red Nautilus Division. I welcome you as our fellow compatriot."

Following suit, Reno placed an arm in front of himself. Lin Sanjiu only noticed then that there was a hidden pocket on the side of his shirt. He placed his hand inside the hidden pocket and made a strange bow, saying, "I am Reno, also a member of the Progressor Alliance, Red Nautilus Division. I welcome you as our fellow compatriot."

Progressor Alliance?

Lin Sanjiu was filled with questions upon hearing the name. For example, what was the Progressor Alliance? Why did they know her? Why did the Alliance give a damn about someone like her? Was it because of Puppeteer? But she only successfully escaped from him; she hadn't done much.

However, spelling out each question would be too time-consuming, potentially leaving her without answers by the time she left Kisaragi Station World. It felt frustrating, akin to being a groom unable to consummate with a newly-wed bride right before her. She wished she could undo the almanac's effect with a simple plea to the generations of imperial astronomers.

The siblings, though not overly considerate, provided a brief introduction after dropping their world's weird etiquette. Rena adjusted her pink wig, while Reno relaxed with crossed legs.

Rena swayed her legs, explaining, "You probably don't know about us, but from our name, the Progressor Alliance, you might guess what we are. Usually, growth-type posthumans choose to join our alliance since we're famous for offering them protection."

'So, these siblings are also Growth-types.' Lin Sanjiu sighed, also curious. If there were enough growth-type posthumans to form an alliance, why did Puppeteer react so strongly when he had seen her?

She wanted to ask that question, but considering the length, it would be impossible now. 'Once I regain more Higher Consciousness, I'll make a mouth for myself!' Lin Sanjiu thought angrily.

"Puppeteer is notorious in the Twelve Worlds Centrum; he isn't easy to deal with," Reno said, though he seemed strangely nonchalant about the danger. "The Progressor Alliance has clashed with individuals like him for years. While many share his traits, Puppeteer stands out for his crazy, unrestrained behavior."

"Once the news about him chasing you spread, all the consular officers under the Progressor Alliance received an order from above—" Rena's eyes sparkled when she mentioned 'above.' "—that they must conceal information about your whereabouts as far-reaching as possible. In addition, all members away from Twelve Worlds Centrum are told to look out for you. We wanted to find you before Puppeteer."

'So, that's why both of them are so happy,' Lin Sanjiu thought. As this involved their entire organization, the two kids' faces flushed with excitement upon completing the mission.

"Although we don't know how you ended up like this, if you go back to Red Nautilus with us, I'm sure there is a way to help you," Rena said to Lin Sanjiu in a rare act of comfort. She was about to say something more but paused and looked out of the window with a frown.

The two humans and brain were seated triangularly, facing each other. Therefore, for a moment, none noticed what was happening outside. Rena's action instantly drew the attention of Reno and Lin Sanjiu.

A pale, naked, expressionless man had plastered himself to the train's window, staring at the three as if interested in their conversation. While it wasn't a typical occurrence, they didn't find it particularly remarkable. Nonetheless, the train was slowly pulling into a station.

Before they knew it, they had reached the Invisible Place station.