1-Just the Beginning

Jen

Ugh.

I lean against my apartment door with my eyes closed and breathe.

"How's your mom?"

I jump.

"Jesus Christ Rico. You scared the shit outta me!" I say walking over to the island in our kitchen. I put my keys and purse down.

Rico Rodriguez is my best friend and partner. He's also my roommate. He's 6 foot 5 and the ladies love him... Puke. We met the first day of CIA training and hated each other, so naturally we ended up as besties.

He chuckles and pats the spot next to him on the couch.

"Come sit with Tio Rico and tell him all about your day"

"You're such ass hat." I say hopping up to sit on the island.

Our apartment is the bomb. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, a kickass balcony, 24 hour gym downstairs and it's conveniently located to work. The living area has an open layout so I can still sit in the kitchen and eat if Rico is feeling chatty while watching TV.

"Nah really though Jen, how was it?" He turns to look at me

"You know how she gets at times. She yelled a lot, cried even more, bossed Jules and me around, just like every other year only 10 times more."

"Hey at least after tomorrow you won't have to think about it anymore. Plus I'll be there and it's pretty much impossible not to enjoy my company," he quips.

"Cocky bastard," I say hopping down from my perch on the counter.

"Hey Jen? Do me a solid and at least try to dress like a girl tomorrow? I don't want my date looking like she just came from the gym!"

"You sound just like my mom asshole!" I shout as I walk down the hall to my room.

"You know I love you!" He calls after me.

I close my door and fall face first onto my big bed and sigh.

Three years ago tomorrow my dad died. My sweet, wonderful, loving father was diagnosed with blood cancer and fought hard but like many more before him, lost the battle.

I was a daddy's girl. My older sister, Jules, loved dressing up and helping mom cook but not me.

Nope, I loved helping dad with the cars, watching football games and when I got old enough, going to the shooting range.

My dad was commander of the United States Navy for 17 years.

Ever since I was 6 and went with my dad to oversee a training exercise I knew I wanted to be military.

My dad absolutely loved it. He never had a son so he strongly encouraged me to follow in his footsteps. My mom however despised that her daughter would rather shoot guns than get her nails done.

When I turned 18 I enlisted in the US Army. My dad wanted me to go Navy but he respected my decision.

My mom did not. She tried at every turn to persuade me to stay home and become a society woman like her and my sister but my dad helped me hold my ground.

The day after graduation I shipped off for training.

My first year was hard on me. I had been training my whole life with my dad and I thought I was ready for everything.

What I wasn't ready for was the way I was treated because I am a woman.

I never left the base. When I did I was stationed in areas so far from the war zone I felt like I was still in America.