Part 4

Lya had chosen one of the water fountains in a courtyard just off Diagon Alley. It was just close enough that it would get regular traffic from wix heading home after work. But it also had a few more private areas where two nervous law breakers might feel safe.

The suspect actually did a good job of not standing out despite being the only one not going somewhere. He was carefully writing out some note while an owl sat on his shoulder, patiently waiting for instructions.

Draco walked towards the suspect, hurrying a little to try to disguise that his gait wasn't the same as Lya's.

The man looked up at the sound of heels. He smiled and pulled out a flower. That was Draco's signal that this was the man he was to meet. Draco understood the need for such an indicator even on the second meeting. Even after seeing the suspect's face, he had forgotten it the second the man looked away to dig in his bag.

Draco waited until he was very close before he started to talk. His breathy tones came easier after his almost jog in his heels and he kept Lya's voice tight and nervous. "Erm... I have one. But can you promise me in won't be used in something dangerous or dark?"

The look the man gave Draco was both condescending and incredulous. "Veela aren't dark creatures, my dear. It would be very hard to create something dark from something as light as you."

Which, Draco noticed, wasn't actually an answer. How stupid did he think Lya was? The dumb blond jokes were already old in the nineties. Still, Draco shot a nervous look around before asking, "And what about dangerous to me?"

"You have the typical wards against taglock magic, don't you?"

Draco nodded. Even if it wasn't required as part of his job in the Ministry, he would have gone through the pains to have one set up. He did not need the headache of people polyjuiced as him going off on crime-sprees. He wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt no matter how much pull Granger had.

Draco had also done some spells on the feather to try to remove as much of his magical signature as possible. The the Auror department had cast their own warding and tracking spells on it. That was actually the final push that had made him agree to hand over the feather rather than show up to the meeting and then back out at the last minute. Then, even if the suspect didn't lead them anywhere useful, hopefully the tracking charm on the feather would.

The suspect opened his hand to reveal ten shining gold galleons.

Draco licked his lips in response to the supposed temptation. The man seemed to know that Draco is sufficiently lured, because all the man does is wait. The owl shifts on the man's shoulder and hoots.

Draco looked up at the owl and then hurried to dig through his purse. From between the pages of a small romance novel he pulled out a feather. It shone iridescent in the lamplight.

In turn, the man held out a long box for Draco to put it in. Draco did and the box snapped shut. The man smiled in satisfaction and poured the gold into Draco's hands.

"You might feel a pull on your magic when someone uses the feather. Nothing to worry about just do a few core strengthening exercises. And reach out if you are ever feeling generous again." The man winked and turned away.

Draco took a second to make sure the gold is real and then he finally realized the man was talking about his magical core and not pilates. "Wait, how much of a pull?"

The man waved over his shoulder. "Nothing to get worked up over. You didn't think there was a reason Veela feathers are so hard to come by?"

Draco ground his teeth in annoyance but didn't try to pursue the suspect. It was unlikely he was going to get any information from the suspect at this juncture. Hopefully during that exchange Potter had enough time to get all the tracking charms settled and active. That way Draco can question the suspect on veritaserum later and get answers without it being like pulling teeth.