Part 2

Draco hadn't shaken the annoyance that has sprung up at seeing Potter again. Draco's weekend of aggressive Quidditch and weeding hadn't gotten him anywhere but a distraught mother. How was he supposed to know that some of those had been planted intentionally? Besides asking, of course. After a few charms they didn't seem worse for wear, even if she insisted they were sensitive. Given what he had heard from Luna and occasionally Neville, it might even have been true. Not that he was going to start playing classical music for his mother's plants as an apology or anything.

Though, once he got to work, he actually had a really interesting case involving the local Veela population. Apparently several of them had been approached about selling various potion ingredients. Technically legal, although none of them were public about their Veela hertiage. It was interesting because it was potentially dangerous. But also potentially a good example to support Granger's bid to keep registration completely voluntary. He sent a memo to her once the idea came to him.

He was in the midst of a consuming brainstorm for protecting his Veelas when Granger interupted him. She knocked on his office door before entering his office. The office he had because she successfully argued each of her liaisons needed a space to cater to their liaises.

"Yes, boss?" he asked in a drawl. He had started off calling her that as a reminder to himself of their respective circumstances. A reminder that he owed her the second chance that came with being interviewed, let alone hired. A chance to try to protect the people he had once held in contempt. Now it had the added benefit of reminding Granger that she did hold a position of authority and that she had the right to wield it.

She smiled briefly at his greeting before biting her lip. "Hey, Draco. Thanks for your memo."

Reading her anxiety, Draco stiffened and then waved her to sit down while he waited for the other shoe to drop.

"It's not anything bad," she said. "Or anything more bad than you already know. I actually got a few memos like yours this morning. I need you to work on an interdepartment team to address these reports."

Draco winced, not excited about what kind of reception he might have with Aurors. Especially those still caught up in their glory days of fighting against his parents and other supporters of Tom Riddle. "Why don't you ask one of the other liaisons?" he asked, trying not to sound like he was whingeing.

Hermione pressed her lips together. "The Veelas and Vampires are the most targeted right now and you know how Darlene's schedule is. I know this won't be the most pleasant situation, but I've hand-picked the Auror representative. He will be someone who will not be prejudiced about you being a Veela or ex-Death Eater."

Draco was overcome with an unpleasant certainty. "It's Potter, isn't it."

She sighed. "Really, Draco? It's been over a decade. I don't see why both of you can barely be in the same room without one of you acting like we are still in Hogwarts."

Draco straightened indignantly. "I was all politeness. You can ask Darlene. She was right next to me in the greeting line."

Granger looked a little skeptical, but seemed unwilling to push it, given that Draco was calling on witnesses now. Not that Darlene had all her wits about her by that time, but that didn't really matter for his purposes.

"You didn't even warn him that I was part of your department," Draco said.

Granger looked away guiltily, confirming Draco's suspicions. "I did try. I also thought that if he saw you could work with me that you two wouldn't have issues." She looked back, again full of the determination she had when she was taking on a cause. "Why don't you two get along still?"