Golden eyes

Siren

I never thought I'd see the day when I'm free. But I at least thought it would feel good but instead it feels like I've been stabbed, cut and used as someone's punching bag. All my limbs are sore and the croaky feeling in my throat makes it all that much worse.

I start by taking a much needed breath even though that resulted in a whimper at the sharp sting on my abdomen. I hiss when my head follows, then my thigh and I stop moving altogether. The first thought that came into mind is my previous memories, memories of how I came to be here.

I'm alive.

The voice echos in my head, the voice that keeps wanting to remind me and get me used to the fact that I really am alive. I made it. They don't know I made it and they probably think I died. That's what the poison was for. It slowed down my heartbeat, enough for it to be so faint that it looked like I'm dead. Hopefully they think so, but to be sure, I need to run.

Although before I can run, I need to figure out where I am. I am in a soft surface, so soft my body feels like it's sinking in to it. My right hand lifts to feel the lukewarm thing that is placed on my forehead and I slide it off, my eyes still not opening. But from the feeling of the fabric I'm guessing it's a towel.

My heart spikes at the realization. If I have the warm towel on my forehead that means.. I'm still back at the academy.

No..

My eyes snap open to be met with big golden ones before an ear deafening scream erupts right at my face and I squint my eyes while my right hand comes to block my  right ear and my left was too unlucky seeing as my hand was too heavy for me to lift.

"Ma!!!!" The kid screams at the top of his lungs causing a groan to come out of me.

"What hell-" I mumble to myself, the little boy's screams are so loud they make the pain on my head worsen. "Screaming won't make me go away you little shit!" He immediately shuts his mouth at that.

"Are you a lake monster?" His curious voice makes me crank my eyebrows in confusion.

I don't offer him a reply, trying to get myself to sit up with the injury which serves to be harder than necessary but I still manage. The little boy eyes me, he watches me in silence as if he is looking at the most interesting thing in the world.

"Where are you from?"

"Your nightmares." I pan. He huffs with a little attitude before crossing his little arms against his body.

He glares at me, noticing my sarcasm and I glare back. I have never met a kid less than ten years old since I was twelve because Yvonne's younger children were seven. Now I remember that I don't like kids. This loud little shit's screeching voice is still ringing in my ears.

"Lake monsters usually look like.." He trails off eying me from up and down I frown, waiting for him to finish. "Monsters." He adds.

"Have you met one?"

"Well no-"

"Then I am one."

His cheeks flush and his brown eyebrows furrow in annoyance before he huffs again. His chubby cheeks are as red as a tomato. I could tell he thought he was scaring me but the germ infested thing is anything but scary.

"Vik would never bring a monster you liar!" He argues.

I don't get time to answer before a woman in a blue wavy dress shows up, seemingly in a hurry. Her alarmed brown eyes meet mine and they widen before she starts chastising the little boy in a foreign language, it's not Russian and she scoops him up and puts him against her chest.