Chapter 49: Fame Is Deadly For A Ninja

Start from the beginning

Upon absorbing Jiraiya's advice, Tatsuma wore a pensive expression. He finally grasped why Jiraiya refrained from embracing the title of Konoha Sannin, later preferring to be recognized as the Toad Sage of Mount Myoboku.

This is because Jiraiya had no aspirations to become the Hokage. Concurrently, he deliberately shed the title of Konoha Ninja bestowed upon him. As he traversed the ninja world in the future, he adorned a forehead protector uniquely inscribed with the character "油" (oil), a symbol of his individuality.

Furthermore, Jiraiya's words appeared to hold true. Ninjas burdened by fame, particularly in Konoha, did not fare well. Sakumo Hatake, renowned as Konoha's White Fang, tragically took his own life; Yakushi Nono, the wandering miko, met her demise at the hands of her own people; Shisui, the master of Body Flicker, ended his life after betrayal by his superiors; Shimura Danzo, the shadow of the ninja world, met his demise after his bad karma bit him in the ass.

In the realm of those with prestigious titles almost no one managed to evade being killed. Hashirama Senju, hailed as the God of the Ninja World, ascended to become the First Hokage. Tobirama Senju, renowned as the swiftest ninja globally, assumed the role of the Second Hokage, while Sarutobi Hiruzen, a master of Ninjutsu, held the position of the Third Hokage. All of them were killed!

Subsequently, Minato Namikaze, renowned as the Yellow Flash, rose to the mantle of the Fourth Hokage; Tsunade, one of the Konoha Three Sannin and also known as the Slug Princess, took on the role of the Fifth Hokage; Kakashi, the Copy Ninja, assumed the duties of the Sixth Hokage; and the unexpectedly exceptional ninja, Naruto Uzumaki, emerged as the Seventh Hokage.

Apart from them, the majority of Konoha ninjas bearing prominent nicknames didn't meet favorable fates. Even Might Guy, who modestly dubbed himself the "Azure Beast of Konoha," came perilously close to losing his life.

Perhaps it's superstition, or maybe someone is manipulating things, but indeed, as Jiraiya said, if you're not aiming to be the Hokage or have no intention of becoming one, then fame is unnecessary. After all, in the consensus of many in the ninja world, ninjas are tools.

These tools are wielded by the Kages in the ninja village and the Daimyo in the country. The more dazzling the tool, the more cumbersome it becomes to employ. For such tools, their destiny is confined to either being brought into the light or buried in obscurity.

Observing the contemplative expressions on his two students, Jiraiya shook his head, sighing at himself for broaching such weighty matters so early with the young duo. Nevertheless, he managed a reassuring smile and remarked:

"Let's not linger on that. Congratulations to both of you on completing your first mission in your ninja careers. This mission comes with a reward of fifty thousand ryo, with the village taking a 20% cut. The remaining sum is all yours, considering my less-than-impressive contributions."

Tatsuma arched an eyebrow. Forty thousand ryo, when divided evenly between him and Minato, would amount to twenty thousand each. This equated to their living allowances for the past six months.

And in a mere six days, they had completed the mission. Even accounting for a day or two of travel back, it was just a little over a week. Reflecting on it, earning money as a ninja indeed proved swift. However, considering the newly added responsibilities of covering expenses like rent, utilities, and living costs, their hard-earned reward would barely stretch to last about three months.

Furthermore, their approach to this mission was frugal; they refrained from purchasing any additional ninja tools or explosive tags. Even the Military Rations Pills were generously provided by Jiraiya. If these supplementary expenses were factored in, their financial resilience would likely be halved.

In an instant, the fleeting joy Tatsuma had just experienced dissipated. Minato, however, didn't dwell on it too much. He shook his head and expressed, "No, Jiraiya-sensei. Without your assistance, completing the mission wouldn't have been nearly as smooth." Minato glanced at Tatsuma, who nodded in agreement. Tatsuma, harboring no greed for the money, added, "I echo Minato's sentiments, Jiraiya-sensei. You should take the share you rightly deserve."

Jiraiya displayed a pleased smile. Though money held less significance for him compared to these two students, he appreciated their considerate attitude. Jiraiya chuckled and responded, "Since you're both so thoughtful, I'll gladly accept it! Once we return, I'll treat you to barbecue! Ahaha~"

"Gurgle~" *2

At the mention of barbecue by Jiraiya, the two who had subsisted on Military Rations Pills for a week perked up. Tatsuma wiped his mouth and suggested, "Minato, the craving for barbecue has hit me suddenly."

"Same here. How about we make our way back to the village swiftly?"

"Up for a race?"

Minato nodded and agreed, "Sure!"

"You truly live up to your reputation, Minato. Even after completing the mission, your energy is still soaring. But I bet I'll beat you to the village!"

----

Check out my Patreon for more advanced chapters up to 50 at patreon.com/HellGolt