She looked at her. It's been a week since she drank the cure and she's looking healthy now. He's glad.

He's relieved that she and their child was healthy. But at what cost? He doesn't know what to feel. He knows it was not Qashanna's fault and Alarice is right, she needed the medicine more than her.

The thing that he can't accept is that she was always willing to sacrifice herself but never thought of what the people around her might feel.

"You cannot and don't have the rights to say those words to me. Whatever you call that feelings I won't accept it. We're going to part ways in a year so whatever it is you're going to say is useless."

He suddenly remembered her words. He clenched his jaws. What she said was right. Everything that she said was right. After the things that he does on their first year of marriage, his feelings are useless. He knows it that's why he gave it his all during the recent years.

And he knows it was not enough.

But what can he do when she just left like that? What can he do when she was resigned to leave him?

He just can't accept it. He stood at his seat. He's going to pester Alarice again until she doesn't have a choice but to let her see him.

But when he was about to leave, Qashanna grabbed his hand.

"Please Your Majesty, my friends are here to congratulate me. Please at least don't leave me alone." She said

He looked at her intently. How can the Empress Consort host a small party when the Empress Regnant is fighting for her life saving her.

"The Empress is sick. She needs someone on her side." He said coldly

"But I just recovered. Can't you stay and at least look happy for me?" She said

"I already dine with you. I just need to visit her and I'll-"

"She doesn't need you Your Majesty! I'm the one who needs you! She's strong and pretty and smart. She can do everything on her own! You also know that there's nothing you can do to cure her. My father's already making a cure. Why can't you be beside me and be happy that I am fine?! Or what? Do you prefer it that me and our child dies instead of her?!" She shouted

Some guests looked at the two of them. He motioned the servants to let the guests out so they can have privacy.

"That's not it. I am happy that-"

"Really? Is that really the truth?! Ever since that she came our life was an utter chaos. You were mine! You're supposed to only be mine! I'm so relieved that the first concubine died when you gave her your affections but then you shifted your attention to her! I hate it when I have to share you! You're all I have. Please, please don't leave me behind. Please just let her die so we can be together again. " She said desperately

Nicholas was dumbfounded. She was saying that she was happy that someone died.  And she was saying that Alarice must die so they can be together once again.

She's looking at a broken woman. It is him who pushed her to become like this. But where did it go wrong? Everything in the past that he did is for her. He desperately tried to gain power for her. He married those women so he can protect her. He made contract with Alarice so he can still protect her and her position.

Alarice never covet her position. He always assured her that she will still protect her. But... What goes wrong?

He did everything for her. Why did she still wanted the life of a woman precious to him? Didn't he gave it his all to her?

"What exactly do you want from me Qashanna?" He asked softly.

"I want the past us. I want the you who only looked at me. I want the you who only spends time with me. And now your time was divided in three women, you even spend more time working with that woman and spends some to your other son! Why can't it be just us Nicholas?"

He looked at her puzzled. "How can I do that?"

She was silent.

"You.." she gulped. "You can hand over the throne to my father as he was the next line in the throne without considering your heirs. Then we can live in the country side together with our sons. Then they can inherit the throne after. That's what my father said when he visited me and he notices that you rarely spend time with me. And he suggested that. We can live quietly in there and have this child inherit the throne after. Mmhh?" She said

Ahh. Is this really the woman that he loved? Is she really saying all of that?

"Qashanna-"

"Your Majesty! It's an urgent news! A maid from the Moon palace just came and said that the Empress Reganant died!" Pierre said after barging in the room.

Nicholas' blood runs cold.

--

Hi! Apologize for the long wait.

As a token of apology, I'll upload another chapter tomrrow.

Thank you!

By the way I wanna hear your opinion badly. Do you think our ML Nicholas is a red flag of nah?

Just needed your opinion so I can know what course should I take haha.

I actually has 2 endings prepared so please please tell me if you think he's a redflag. Thank you!

- author <3