Chapter 25 :- Date

Start from the beginning

With a nod, Alvin passed by me, leaving me feeling a mix of sadness and frustration. I let out a heavy sigh and made my way to the dining hall of the orphanage. To my surprise, Mrs. Warner was already setting up the table not Mrs. Taylor. We exchanged warm greetings, and I quickly took a seat, feeling a bit under the weather.

Mrs. Warner, prepared a comforting broth for me, knowing that I was feeling unwell. As I sipped on the warm liquid, my mind wandered back to Alvin and the pang of jealousy that had consumed me.

She sat across from me, eating her own breakfast. I continued eating as we talked about various topics. Suddenly, she dropped a bombshell - the doctor was going to adopt me. My jaw dropped and my heart raced with excitement. Finally, I would have a real parent, a mother who would take care of me and cherish me. However, my joy was short-lived as I realized that this meant I would have to separate from Alvin. I didn't want that to happen, so I couldn't bring myself to jump for joy as I was supposed to. We had been through so much together, and the thought of being separated from him was unbearable.

She noticed my hesitation and asked me what was wrong. I tried to explain my feelings to her, but the words wouldn't come. I felt like I was drowning in a sea of conflicting emotions, unable to make sense of anything.

She noticed my lack of enthusiasm, while taking a bite of bacon and asked, "You don't look happy for some reason."

I couldn't bring myself to tell her the truth, so I just shrugged. After a few minutes of silence, she spoke again. "You're worried about him, aren't you? The thought of separating from him just doesn't feel right?"

I nodded my head, tears threatening to spill over. "I know I should be happy about this. I've always wanted a family. I should be jumping around like a 5-year-old kid right now, but I just can't bear the thought of losing him."

Mrs. Warner reached across the table and placed a comforting hand on mine. "Dear, he will always be with you no matter what. You know how he is. He loves you."

I wiped away my tears and clenched my fists. "But still, he will be away from me. I can't stop thinking about him. From morning to night, all day, 24/7, I always think about him. But now we will all be separated from each other."

Mrs. Warner listened patiently as I poured out my heart to her. She reminded me that Alvin would always be with me, no matter what. But I couldn't shake the feeling of dread that had settled in my stomach.

"I will talk to the doctor," I said, clenching my fists. "I will tell her to cancel this."

Mrs. Warner looked at me with a sad smile. "But this is your chance," she said. "You will finally have a mother, and there's nothing better than having a mother in your life. This is your chance, don't blow it. You might regret this decision."

Her words hit me like a ton of bricks. Was I really willing to give up the chance of having a real family, just to stay with Alvin? Was I being selfish?

Mrs. Warner's voice trembled as she spoke softly, her words filled with regret. "I have regrets in my life too," she confessed. "I always wanted to adopt Alvin, to have him as my own son. I saw him as part of my family, but my financial problems prevented me from doing so. Even if I had adopted him, I knew it would have put a tremendous amount of pressure on him. If I just had a decent job enough to pay my own bills, I would've adopted him by now."

Her words struck me, leaving me speechless and lost in a whirlwind of thoughts. I didn't know how to respond. All I could do was listen, my eyes widening with each passing moment.

Mrs. Warner continued, trying to assure me that I should leave. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. I desperately wanted to stay with Alvin forever. I didn't care about having parents; all I needed was him in my life.