Chapter One

Katherine's POV

A very long time ago, humans and vampires lived in war with each other. It was a devastating time for both parties. So, in order to have peace and harmony, they made two treaties.

The first treaty was that the world would be divided into two parts. Half would be for the humans and the other half for the vampires. The only thing separating these two species was a wall, so tall, even the birds couldn't fly over it.

But, it is not a surprise to encounter problems.

Vampires started reproducing themselves at such a fast rate, that humans fearing they would overpower them, started creating weapons. Seeing this, vampires  agreed on the second treaty... Pureblood vampires were prohibited to reproduce, since they, out of the entire hierarchy of vampires were the only ones that could procreate.

Instead, humans offered them a yearly human sacrifice to transform into vampires. In exchange, humans would stop creating diseases and weapons against vampires.

It was a win-win situation. Right?

Well, not exactly. Especially if you're seventeen years old.

But why?

Vampires have what we humans call The vampire Grim. It is the vampire that tracks down the victims and bites them. And it has a taste for teenagers of age seventeen. This means that a friend, family member, or even I can be taken. Because, for my misfortune, I recently turned seventeen.

May God hear us and save us from this fate of being vampires.

Once a person is bitten, they will never see their friends or family ever again. They are taken to the other side of the world. The dark side. The vampire side. The side where you will not see light...Okay, okay I'm exaggerating. I don't know how it looks. And I don't want to.

Anyways, teenagers tend to take precautions. Most of us when we hit our seventeen birthday we close ourselves at home and we prefer to not go outside since the risks of being chosen are higher. This city is not dangerous...except when you're seventeen.

So, for the past few months, I have stayed at home, reading...waiting for my eighteenth birthday.That is 10 months away. Yay...Note the enthusiasm.

Today, I woke up about 10 am and did all my daily routine and sat on my bed, like the loser I am. I grabbed my phone and checked it. There were no texts, calls, nothing. Guess I'm slowly being forgotten.

I decided to leave my depression aside and start devouring a book I had meant to read since I got it. It's called "Red Queen".

***Fast forward 383 pages***

My eyes were burning but my heart was satisfied with finishing this book. I put the book on my bedside when I heard the doorbell ring.

"That's odd...Nobody visits me..." Everybody I knew was doing something at this hour. My friends were in school, the ones that already pass the seventeen-year crisis and well, I didn't know a lot of people.

I took my baseball bat and slowly headed towards the door. I looked through the door hole and what I saw took the breath out of my lungs.

It was a figure dressed in a long coat with a dark hood covering his face... This could only mean one thing.

It was the Vampire Grim.

Immediately adrenaline rushed through my veins and I didn't think twice to start running the opposite side towards the back door of my apartment. I grabbed a small bag with all my necessities, that would last me for about a week. I had a feeling this would happen at the bottom of my heart.

But it won't catch me. Not me, the  field runner champion in West High School.

I ran out of the back door and rushed to the first street I could find, which for my luck, was a fence. Dang it, I would have to do more exercise than what I expected to find my freedom.

I saw some air conditioning boxes on the walls to the side of the fence that I could use instead of climbing the fence that was too high and noisy. And that's what I did. I started climbing each air conditioning box without looking down. I was afraid I would lose my balance.

I was an inch close to getting to the last air conditioning box that would allow me to touch the fence in order to pass to the other side when I felt a hand pull my shirt downwards tossing me from my only chance of freedom.

I hit myself with two air conditioning boxes and with the concrete floor. "Argh..." I said trying to get up. I hit myself pretty bad. But I needed to get away. "What just happened?" I managed to say when I got up. I rubbed my forehead and felt a warm liquid. I looked at it and it was blood. Oh, no. I don't want scars.

If I was going to have a scar, let it be like the one Harry Potter had, if not, then I won't accept it.

"I tried to be kind and respectful by going to your house and ringing the doorbell, but I guess you humans are so dramatic, making everything worse than it should be. Or you are just dumber than what I guessed." Said a deep voice.

He continued talking. "But, you seem strong. You survived that fall..." I finally was able to look at him without my vision getting blurry. He was wearing a hood that covered his face, he had a long katana sword on his back and the only thing I could see was that he looked like the devil himself.

"Please, don't mark me. I am sure I won't survive it. If you want, just kill me for the fun of it." I was beginning to freak out. I didn't want this to happen. I preferred to be dead than being a vampire. I love sunbathing.

"Too late. I've already chosen you." He said and in mere seconds the man standing three feet away from me was now holding me. I couldn't capture what was happening, my entire body went into shock.

I felt his arm get a hold of my waist, his other hand grabbing my neck. I was completely paralyzed by fear. Without thinking twice, he sunk his fangs into my neck.

I gave a small whimper. I felt an acidic liquid entire my blood system. I knew for sure it was the vampire venom. The one that would change me into a vampire...forever. 

I should have been more careful.

I remembered the last thing I saw was a glimpse of white hair and then I fell into oblivion.