⛓Weeping Heart⛓

Start from the beginning

  "What's an asshole?" Terry asked, and my eyes widened.

  "It's another word for butthole but meaner." Aiden glanced back at the child while waving his hand.

  "And it's a word you shouldn't say until you're older." I quickly added.

  "Why?" Both Terry and Aiden asked while looking at me.

  "'Cause your mama would have you by the scruff for saying that word. Some stuff you just don't say until you're older. Kinda like driving or getting a job." I explained while looking down to see what Aiden had been coloring. It was a page with cartoon kittens tangled in yarn. "Cute."

  "I know I am." Aiden grinned, and the kids giggled.

  "I think she was talking about the kittens." Paige pointed at the coloring book sitting in front of the man.

  "Right. Check it out. I stayed in the lines." Aiden held up the book to show me. "Didn't break a single crayon either."

  "Oh, impressive." I smiled and crouched beside the table. "I thought you were supposed to be helping Nia, though."

  "I did. And then she stuck me on kid duty since they wouldn't settle down. Had to chase these runts through the field 'cause they ran off, too."

  "He's so fast!" Terry grinned.

  "Nia has you watching her kids?" I asked with disbelief.

  "Yes, Nia does." Her voice came from the booth. "Let the man take care of those gremlins for a little while. They ain't made of porcelain."

  "Yeah, but does Nia know the man is teaching her kids dirty words?" I popped off, and not even two seconds passed before a flip-flop came flying from between the booths to hit Aiden on the back of the head. The trio of children burst into rambunctious laughter.

  "Your whole pack is a bunch of bullies." Aiden rubbed his head, and I chuckled while tossing the flip-flop back to Nia.

  "Oh, you'll be okay." I grabbed his shoulder and kissed his temple. "I gotta get back to work now. You kids have fun."

  "Wait." Aiden grabbed my hand as I stood to walk away. "Did you need something?"

  "No, I was just checking up on you." I replied while giving his hand a gentle squeeze. His eyes gained a knowing look when he realized what I meant but wouldn't say with the children present.

  "I'm fine." His tone was more serious even though he wasn't actually fine. He was only okay at best, and that was being generous.

  "All right. See you at dinner."

  "See ya." Aiden gave a quick smile before letting my hand go and turning back to the table. My gaze on him lingered, watching as he colored with the kids.

  So this was one of his soft spots. He'd threatened to bite off appendages when it came to teenagers, but children he had a lot more patience for. Enough patience to let them drag him to this tiny table to color and make him wear a flower crown.

  I could sense his wolf side being twitchy and alert, but that was all. He was doing for these kids what no adult had done for him at their age.

  It was bittersweet.

~

  "Aw, don't you wanna wear it a little longer?" I teasingly asked as Aiden and I were walking back home. The sun was setting, and everyone was heading back to their houses for the night. Everything was ready for the festival, so all that was left now was to rest before morning came.