Chapter 48: The Longer the Foreplay, the Shorter the Main Act

Depuis le début

In the blink of an eye, the ronin fell one by one. Those directly involved in the killing of Murata Yue met their end at the hands of Minato, while the others were skillfully incapacitated, ensuring they would no longer pose a threat in their remaining years.

To put it plainly, this involved rendering them immobile and unconscious, achieved through techniques such as strategically cutting tendons and ligaments.

Soon, only Yusuke remained among the ronin who hadn't succumbed to death or incapacitation, lying unconscious by Yuko's side. Minato, utilizing the Body Flicker technique, materialized in front of Yusuke, poised to strike with his kunai, when Tatsuma's voice interrupted:

"Minato!"

In response to Tatsuma's shout, Minato halted. Tatsuma directed his gaze towards Yuko and inquired, "Do you want to handle this yourself, or shall we take care of it for you?"

Yuko, momentarily stunned as she surveyed the scene, instinctively reached for the short knife at her side. Her eyes fixed on the unconscious Yusuke, her breaths coming heavily. However, after a deep inhalation, she composed herself and, with a slightly trembling voice, responded:

"Please, let me handle this myself."

With trembling hands, Yuko retrieved the short knife. She carefully unraveled the cloth encasing the blade, her fingers shaking as she clutched the remaining handle wrapped in fabric. The knife's tip hesitated above Yusuke's chest, her struggle was evident.

Minato, growing uneasy, felt the urge to intervene, but Tatsuma intervened once more, preventing him from taking action. Tatsuma directed his attention to Yuko and said, "Your little brother wouldn't want to see you commit murder. If you find it difficult, just leave it to us."

Upon hearing Tatsuma mention her brother, Yuko, previously indecisive, resolved herself. The knife's tip pierced Yusuke's heart, but her grip on the handle faltered, causing her hand to slide down, the blade leaving a cut.

Despite the injury, Yuko remained oblivious. Tearfully and with a smile, she observed Yusuke's sudden convulsion.

Tatsuma and Minato exchanged glances but opted not to disturb Yuko. Instead, they efficiently bound the remaining ronin on the ground. Once this task was complete, they planned to depart with their captives.

However, in this moment, Yuko ceased crying and declared, "Please wait a moment. I'd like to pour a drink for both of you."

Stretching out to grasp the nearby table for support, she realized her hands were stained with blood. Awkwardly, she commented, "I need to wash my hands first. Just give me a moment, okay?"

Minato shook his head, saying, "Apologies, but we don't drink."

Tatsuma maintained silence, silently concurring with Minato's assertion. Disappointment flickered across Yuko's face. Yet, in the now hushed nightclub, a voice echoed.

"Two naive youngsters, a girl's gratitude is something you can't refuse."

Realizing there were still people around, Yuko suddenly became nervous, and from the darkness emerged the figure of Jiraiya.

Observing Yuko's anxious expression, Tatsuma took the initiative to introduce, "This is our guiding Jonin. By the way, we're ninjas from Konoha."

"Thank you."

With nothing else coming to mind, Yuko could only express her gratitude. She then struggled to stand and made her way towards the restroom. Jiraiya approached the two boys, ruffled their hair, and said,

"Not bad, huh? Seems like your talents extend beyond just academics."

A shy smile graced Minato's face, but in this moment, his hands were also bloodied, and a few droplets stained his face, creating a chilling sight.

Jiraiya turned to Tatsuma and inquired, "Tatsuma, do you strongly resist killing?"

Having observed their actions in the past few days, Jiraiya was genuinely puzzled by Tatsuma's apparent reluctance. Tatsuma didn't deny it; he nodded and said, "Taking a life has never felt like the right thing to do. Perhaps in the future, I'll be stained with the blood of countless people, but I'll never see it as something right or commendable."

Upon hearing Tatsuma's response, Jiraiya nodded and turned his attention to Minato, remarking, "Minato, you should also grasp Tatsuma's perspective, right?"

Minato nodded, affirming, "I understand. I'll be more considerate in restraining myself moving forward."

"Good. However, you didn't make a mistake this time. These people didn't deserve to live; it was just a matter of mission necessity."

Jiraiya patted the shoulders of the two boys and directed his gaze at Yuko, who emerged from the restroom. He retrieved a key card and handed it to both of them, saying:

"If you're not up for a drink, head over to the hotel across the street. The rooms are ready, and it's about time you two took a break. I'll handle keeping an eye on these folks for you."

----

Check out my Patreon for more advanced chapters up to 50 at patreon.com/HellGolt