Chapter 3

Chapter 3: You Can If You Want

  Scales? How can there be scales?

  Baffled, she lowered her head to see black, cold-iron-like snake scales, and her body stiffened in an instant.

  Her reaction made the self-mocking smile appear on the face of Mo Chen, who was holding her. See, this is the result you wanted.

  "So, you're a snake-tribe beastman. But you saved me, and you're a good beastman. I won't be afraid of you."

  She was a bit scared, but as a fan of handsome men, Mo Chen's looks were too striking for her. Internally, she emitted the squeaks of a prairie dog.

  Mo Chen's eyes, which had darkened before, instantly filled with light at the words of Yun Zhi. It seemed like the appearance of Yun Zhi was another round of prairie dog squeaks for the fan girl.

  "I'm not a good person. I am a snake beast and a wandering beast. Are you really not afraid?" Feeling Yun Zhi's fear being replaced by pity, Mo Chen was afraid of being pitied instead.

  With courage, she touched Mo Chen's head. She couldn't say comforting words, so she awkwardly expressed that she really wasn't afraid, providing Mo Chen with a bit of comfort.

  In the world, everything has two sides. One cannot judge a person based on traditional biases or subjective judgments.

  "Some men look good but have evil hearts, while some look evil but have good hearts. You can't judge everyone based on preconceived notions or personal bias. Besides, you saved my life and gave me food. To me, that makes you a good person."

  "Put me down. You haven't eaten anything yet, right?" They had only recently met, and Yun Zhi's intimate actions made her feel uneasy.

  She usually stayed at home, so in twenty years, she had neither a boyfriend nor any intimacy with the opposite sex.

  Mo Chen let Yun Zhi sit next to him, and his snake tail transformed back into legs. Due to his nature as a snake beast, his skin was pale, even his legs.

  "Most females wouldn't choose a snake beast as a partner. You probably have many beastmen pursuing you!" Yun Zhi said while blushing.

  Hearing Yun Zhi's words, Mo Chen realized that she didn't know about the male's lack of favor in choosing a partner. Due to the female's ability to transform between humanoid and beast forms, they couldn't awaken the beast imprint.

  Moreover, due to the scarcity of females, polyandry was allowed. After forming a bond, imprints of all mates would appear on the female's body.

  "If the imprints are destroyed, the corresponding beastman loses their nature and becomes a forsaken beast. Unfortunate ones might even be caught and eaten. It's not a good ending."

  "I knew about these circumstances from ancient times. In the world of beastmen, it's tough. I've read many novels about it. Winters are harsh, and many perish. In spring and rainy seasons, tribes hold rituals and choose mates. The abundant season is for storing food. Before winter arrives, tribes organize teams to trade with larger tribes for salt, ensuring more people survive the winter..."

  Yun Zhi understood that in ancient times, food scarcity was common. Having read novels about the beastman world, she knew that many people died of hunger and cold during winter.

  "But will you live with me in the tribe?" Yun Zhi asked, realizing she had just exposed her thoughts. She wished Mo Chen wouldn't find out about her ulterior motives.

  Mo Chen was surprised by her direct question. He hadn't expected Yun Zhi to ask such a thing. Was she really that interested in him?

  "Would you like to live with me in the tribe?" After saying this, he continued, "If you want, you can."

  What do you mean 'if you want'? It sounded as if she had malicious intentions.

  (End of Chapter)