١٧ - sab'a 'ashar

There is nothing I can do
Nothing you can do
What can the wound do
With the knife on the way to it?

Nizar Qabbani

THE MORNING IS cold and gray

THE MORNING IS cold and gray. The glass of her window is misted and hazy. The drizzle is falling softly without much lightning and thunder. Rahaf sits on her window seat knitting roses on her handkerchief.

Hamama plays on the qaleen with her beads and mirror. Her kitten sits with her observing her curiously. Once in a while she says something or asks Rahaf a question. Some of them Rahaf answers with a smile. Others she has to find a way out of.

Once in a while she also wanders far away from the present into her own imagination. Sometimes thinking about something that happened long ago into the past. Other times thinking about what future may or may not bring. But every time the roses on her handkerchief reminds her of someone.

She doesn't know if he's the reason she ended up knitting these flowers. Or if these flowers are the reason she keeps thinking of him. But whatever it may be, she thinks of him. Whether it be the rain or the roses, or whether it be his perfume with her. Lately Furat has been a lot in her thoughts. Rahaf smiles to herself.

"Rahaf?" Hamama calls for her attention once more.

"Yes, my dove?"

"Who is the new lady at the palace?"

Assuming she's referring to Ameer Zurarah's sister, Rahaf replies, "Ah, she's a guest. Why do you ask?"

"I like her," Hamama declares, making Rahaf smile again. "She and I watched the moon together. She also told me that I was beautiful. She was telling me a story about the moon but my baba came and took me away," Hamama rambles. "Baba was upset."

"Why?"

But instead of answering her question, she asks, "Is she your friend, Rahaf?"

"She is."

"What is her name?"

"Marajil."

Hamama goes back to playing with her beads. She's making a pattern on the qaleen that Mushq keeps ruining for her. But she patiently keeps fixing it without shooing the kitten away.

A knock comes at the door. Rahaf allows the visitor inside and Adara comes in.

"Sabah al khayr," she greets.

"Adara, welcome."

Rahaf puts away the handkerchief in her hand and creates room for her sister-in-law on the window seat. She comes to join her.

"How are you, azizati?" Adara asks.

"I'm good. Thank you."

Adara smiles and turns to look at Hamama still busy in her own little world. For a moment she keeps gazing at her. Then she tears away her eyes from her and bring them back to Rahaf.