Prologue

When James opens the door of his house at six in the morning, he expects no one but Peter Pettigrew. Firstly, because he's the only one to know where he lives. Secondly, because he wouldn't forgive anyone else for the rudeness of coming this early.

But here he stands, Severus Snape, draped in his dark robes and a somber look on his face.

"What the fuck?" James panics, blinking frenetically.

If Severus, a death eater, knows where they live, then Voldemort does too, then Lily and Harry are in danger, then Peter might be dead-

"Calm down." Severus stops his internal rambling. "He's not aware of my presence here."

"Why?"

"Let me enter, and I'll explain."

"Why?" James repeats, defiant. "I've got no reason to trust you."

"The fact Voldemort isn't behind me ready to use the killing curse is all you need to trust me."

James pinches his lips, considering it for an instant.

If it was up to him, he'd close the door in that Slytherin's face in a heartbeat. There's no use trusting them. They only care about themselves, and Severus' presence here points to nothing but a scheme.

But it's not up to him anymore. He's not alone. He's got Lily and Harry to protect, and the look in the eyes of his old rival tells him he wants, no, needs, to hear what he has to say.

James doesn't utter a word, he simply pushes himself aside, opening up the door.

Severus walks into their home confidently, instinctively going to the living room. Here, he finds Lily. And there's a split second, where it hurts.

It's one thing to know the one person you ever truly loved is living a fairytale with someone else. It's another thing, to see the fruit of their love be held by her ringed hand.

But he gathers himself quickly, because love and bitterness are rather unimportant today.

"Severus?" Lily looks alarmed, the grip on her baby becoming tighter. Her red hair, curly, disheveled, is tied in a messy bun, deep eyebags and pale skin: parenthood has its ups and downs, visibly.

"Lily." He greets, watching James sit down next to her protectively. "I come bearing... bad news, to say the least."

They exchange a worried look and Severus almost laughs ironically at their chemistry. He really never stood a chance against James Potter.

"I'll start with the hardest one, if I can even call it that. Your secret-keeper has been betraying you, long before you even chose him as such."

Before James can stand up and cause an uproar, accuse Severus of lying and badmouth him in the process, before he can do what he always does; defend his friends, Lily poses a hand on his thigh, calming him down.

She looks regretful, shocked, but mainly disappointed. "He was a traitor all along?"

"Indeed. I believe Voldemort kept it a secret from other Death Eaters just in case. Evan could tell Pandora, who'd tell Dorcas, etc."

"Then why isn't it a secret anymore?"

"Because he's coming to kill your son tonight."

There's a gasp. Lily's trembling hand comes to her chapped lips. James grits his teeth, fists tightening and eyes avoiding everyone in the room. He must still be confused about Peter's betrayal. There's a giggle from Harry, that simply makes the atmosphere in the room worse.