Chapter 8

Silence took over the suite as the new tenant while Angeline and I laid side-by-side. We resembled dominoes after a defeat. The blood cells in my body were racing as if they were on a Formula One track. My body radiated with heat and my penis remained at attention as an erect flagpole. It was sore to the touch, but with the help of my natural endorphins, it masked the pain.

I turned to the left to glance at Angeline in all her glory. Her back had a light shimmer from the sweat she secreted. Her head was toward my direction as she was laying on her stomach glancing at me. We seemed to be admiring one another. My mind raced as I stared into her eyes.

"The fuckin' temptation got the best of me, I guess," I said as I viewed her body.

Angeline kept a direct stare at me. It was the gaze of a hundred miles. Her eyes were as red as the brightest cherry on top of a child's ice cream sundae. The blood vessels in her eyes resembled the tree of life as they traveled far and wide, however there was no life to speak of. Her neck displayed ten fingers that bruised and surrounded her throat. The body next to me was as lifeless as a puppet without a master. What was left of her body heat kept me company in an uncanny way. I could not help but evict the life out of her anatomy.

Drowsiness and exhaustion swept in after the sweet fuck we experienced together. I decided to pull Angeline's lifeless leg over mine and her floppy arm over my waist for comfort. It was the last time that I was able to feel her skin resting on mine before the warmth welcomed the frigid and coagulated blood inside of her. Extreme exhilaration flourished inside of me. It seems that I live life better when I'm not myself.

The day aged and I slept as my body was under the influence of gratification. Maneuvering through the thick hums of the air conditioner, were intermittent thumps at the door. Thumps turned into hammering as patience was depleting. Keys jingled and tickled the door like beetles destined to go only one direction, but only to be blocked. A keycard was appointed to guide itself into the door's keycard reader to peel it open swiftly as if someone was being followed and chased. A small acceptance chime from the door lock was heard as it let the stale air enter the hotel room like a parasitic virus. The late afternoon's sun rays made direct contact with the innards of the room like a spotlight. There was no room for secrets as they will succumb to light.

The property manager, the office receptionist, and the cleaning attendant were standing within the doorframe like elevator passengers waiting for the doors to release them. An abrupt courtesy knock on the door was followed by a series of greetings as they let themselves inside.

"Hello!" the manager balled out.

My eyelids left my eyes exposed as if I was electrocuted. I was in a world of confusion. I was in the deepest predicament.

The cleaning attendant let out a shriek, "Oh shit!"

She pointed at Angeline as she leaned in to view her closer. Angeline was as blue as mold taking over a bruised orange. The spirit she had has long vacated, only to leave her stagnant blood-infused body behind. I quickly looked at her arm that was still placed on me, which remained cold and rubbery to the touch. My pupils dilated and focused on the individuals that entered the room in dismay.

"Oh my God! What's wrong with her? Why does she look like that? Is she... she's dead! What happened to her?" the custodian bellowed out in a panic.

It was when the property manager noticed and analyzed, from where he stood by the door, that room 4 was a real-life crime scene. His eyes were fixed on Angeline as if he lost a family member. He quickly looked towards the receptionist to delegate instructions.

"Mia, go and call the police, now! Hurry!" he yelled while standing at the door, blocking it, "Guys do not touch anything in here!"

My naked body filled with uncertainty and anxiety. There was still an outstanding witch-hunt for me and my face was unfortunately familiar.

"What the hell is going on and why is Angie there like that?" the manager asked sternly.

Angeline was definitely right about knowing everyone in town.

With my voice cracking, "I don't-- I don't know! I just woke up!"

My secrets and desires led me to this very exact moment in time. Not only did I know what happened to Angeline, but I am the one that made her this way. I made her this way and loved every moment. The extinguishing of life made me giddy to the point of feeling like a kid that wakes up for Saturday morning cartoons.

Thoughts about how I would make my exit out of this room flowed like a river in my head. I was not sure which one to go with, but if I made any sudden move, the manager was seemingly ready to pounce. He seemed to be the type of man that waited each year of his life for this very moment. To be a hero and the 15 minutes of fame to go with it.

To the left of the bed, laid my scattered clothes just waiting for me to possess them again. I picked up Angeline's arm from my waist, which was just as stiff and lifeless as a mannequin. Being careful, I slowly got to a sitting position while watching the gentleman watch me. Every move I made, was closely monitored and calculated. Calmly, I lowered myself to reach my boxers, jeans, and shirt from off the ground and onto the bed.

"I hope you don't think you're leaving. I'm not sure what the fuck happened in here, but something about that ain't right! Don't get up!"

I paid the gatekeeper no mind as I got dressed. My mind was already set that I was going to make a break for it and escape before the police revealed themselves.

As I slid my boxers on and stood up, I started with, "You really love your job, huh? This is not your fight. Why be a hero?"

"No, but that young lady laying there seemed like she couldn't fight for herself. Just know that you are not leaving."

I remained silent as I pulled up my zipper and threw on my shirt. My shoes followed as I bent to fasten the laces. My only obstacle remained gawking at me as he also glanced at Angeline. His face was filled with hatred and at the same time, helpless. Sirens off in the distance suggested a change of pace for me. Its relentless scream filled the streets, leaving no room for any thoughts other than to escape. Standing upright, I fixed my eyes on the manager. The both of us were locked onto each other. There were no sounds or exchanged dialogue, but our demeanor spoke a thousand words. As the hum from the air conditioning ceased, I took the opportunity to dart towards the door in hopes that I gain enough momentum to knock my only obstacle off-balance. With all my might and strength, I tried to drive my shoulder into his torso as if I was the only chance of winning the super bowl for my team. To my dismay, I was met with a human wall. Disappointed and defeated, I was shoved back into the bed as if I was a ragdoll. Shocked, I remained.

"Sit the fuck back down! I told you you're not leaving this room!" the manager yelled.

I landed on top of the room's television remote that was putting pressure on my lower back. Reaching under myself to get it, I started to realize that I might not make it to freedom the way I visioned. The moment I gripped the remote, two officers rushed inside of the room with their guns drawn. With tensions high and trigger-happy, the situation was not any better.

"Hey! Hands! Hands up!" one said.

"Let me see your hands!" another balled out.

Fear stricken, I quickly raised my hands along with the room's universal remote.

"Gun! Gun!" an officer repeated.

Loud pops and bangs rang throughout the room. Bullets and fragments zoomed; all moving my direction. One even managed to punch its way through my neck, causing a gaping hole in its wake. Blood filled and started to gush out as it covered the void that was made. Smoke swirled and dust peppered the bed, leaving low-quality drywall and paint remains. As I fell back onto the bed next to Angeline's body, I was in disbelief. A pool of the brightest liquid soaked onto the hotel's cheap linen; soaking through each layer. I did not feel pain at first from the blows I received. Only the rapid throbbing sensation was present as my body had insight that something was seriously wrong. Without warning, at least a cup of arterial blood was coughed up which led to the pain arriving. It started to become difficult to inhale as my neck filled up with fluid. Darkness was waiting for me and I yearned for its love.

The police radio crackled as one of the officers scrambled to use it.

"42!" an officer radioed, "Shots fired! Shots fired!"

Dispatch returned, "Copy 42. All units be advised—shots fired at the Sweet Pine Inn."