✦29✦

When I woke up Astra was still asleep

The bed was warm and her lips were pale, her skin lacking the natural glitter that made her glow in dark places. I thought to leave her asleep because she looked peaceful but thinking about the way she threw up last night and cried herself to sleep, drowning in the realisation that most of earth had sunk made me try to wake her up instead.

It was when I turned her over did I realise the bed was soaked not only with her tears but her blood.

And now I was in Teegan's office with a scalpel (as I'd read it was called), pressed to the back of Connie's skull and a bunch of supplies in front of us. Astra laid on Teegan's desk with the stuff that was once on it sprawled across the floor as I'd swiped them off when putting Astra down on it.

The only thing that was on the desk now was the moon girl and Connies jackets that I'd ripped off her so that Astra would have somewhere to put her head.

"Your stitch is wonky," I pointed out, nodding my head towards the one she'd just finished.

"You know my stitches would probably be a lot cleaner if my life wasn't being threatened the whole time," Connie replied her voice shaky and her hands trembling.

"I want you to understand that you doing this means nothing and you will still die after you're finished," I ran the knife gingerly down her nose,catching a trail of her sweat with it, "I have not forgotten what you've did and where you led us. I will not be fast to forgive you for it either," I wiped the sweat on her shoulder before returning the weapon to her neck, "In fact, the only reason that your life is not mine right now is because hers," I pointed at Astra with my upper hand whilst my lower ones continued to keep the wobbly desk steady, "Is in danger."

"You seem to care for her a lot," She noted quietly, finishing off Astra's stitches.

"Not all life-forms are as shallow and self-seeking as yours Constance," I snarked, "Some of us protect our allies."

"There are no allies of mine on this planet."

I sighed, "If you cannot find friends in your own kind then this galaxy would have been very lonely for you."

"I sent you to that freezer so you could see what they did to those like her," Her eyes ran over Astra's face, "She's one of them correct? She looks like them," She continued with her stitches, "Those two were formidable in the war, never tiring, never giving up. It was exhausting triying to kill them," She reached for a scissors to cut the thread, "We thought we'd never find a way to beat them. Until we did."

"You left them in freezers to die," I corrected her, "You left them in temperatures so cold that their skin broke open and their blood froze before they could bleed."

"We beat them," She corrected me, raising her eyes to lock eyes with me, "And I admit," Her gaze fell to my body, "I do not know of what you are and where you've come from and what you're doing here but," She ran her tongue across her lip, "You look strong, you look like a fighter," She went to grab the gauze and disinfectant, "You have the same flicker in your eye that had those two flattening half our army," She tilted her head.