✦28✦

TEMPEST B

TEMPEST B.E

"I don't know, I think I've never gotten the opportunity to be interesting."

The molten silver of his eyes burned into mine, "Why, you a naturally boring person?"

I giggled shaking my head "I don't know maybe?" I shrugged, "I was young when the first attacks happened so I've never really been asked what I like, there aren't really many people that care what children think when they're fighting for their lives."

Mention of the war had Ambrose tensing up which made me curse under my breath and rush to apologise. "No no don't be sorry," He relaxed again, "We shouldn't continue to pretend what happened didn't happen, it'd be stupid of us."

I bit my lip looking down, "I feel bad, I've ruined the mood haven't I?" I sighed putting my head in my hands, "I'm sorry I'm not good at this..." I thought for a second to think of the next word I wanted to say in english, "This communicating thing. I never really got to have many friends either when I grew up."

"I understand that," He gently pulled one of my hands from my face and gently rubbed his thumb over it, "I was sort of a loner growing up to."

"Well, I was literally fighting for my life," I raised an eyebrow, "What was your excuse?"

He laughed, entwining our fingers, "No one really understood me and no one ever tried to," He tilted his head. "Until you that is."

Even separated by the bars of the prison I sat in I could feel the magnetic pull between us. I had been cleared for a lower security cell and put back where I'd been before, to my suprise on the day of my exchange I arrived to empty cells. All the way to the end of the hall.

It was a stark difference to the overflowing cells of before. I'd asked Ambrose what had happened to which he told me that the others had just been moved somewhere with more space so I let it go but it also made me wonder why I wasn't just put where they were put as well.

The concept of time had become lost to me completely so I had no idea how long I was in isolation but it was hard to think about all of that when I had Ambrose. Reluctant in the beginning it was hard not to warm up to him with his pretty face and undeniable charm.

He had shown me more kindness than I had recieved even from my own people, a tenderness that I hadn't even seen in the eyes of my mother. Without him grounding me and keeping me company I fear I may have lost my mind.

"It's not like I had a choice," I teased, shaking my wings a bit to stretch them out. They'd been freed from their earlier restraints when it was clear I was no longer a threat and although I was grateful to be out of those ties I longed for a freedom that could only be found in the skies.

"Those must be uncomfortable to lug around everywhere."

I took me a second to understand that he was referring to my wings and when I glanced at him his eyes were trained on them as in an unbreakable trance. He often did that, stared at them with deep fascination, I found it cute. "You'd be surprised, when you have them they feel like anything else," I ran a finger between my feathers, "I mean, you wouldn't consider your arm to be heavy right? Your neck doesn't tire from holding up your head." I joked.