Chapter 16

"I'm up! I'm up!" she yelled, waking up with a start. She looked around her groggily before remembering that she wasn't hurtling through space on the Viper Merchants' spaceship. She was in a sentient tree on a mystical island, and thus, she could sleep as much as she wanted.

She curled up even further into her flower bed, intending to get back to her sweet dream. She had been up late last night, trying to sate her insatiable body; which proved to be a losing game. Exhausted, she had taken her fairy form and hit the sack. It was no surprise that sleeping naked and out in the open as a human wasn't nearly as comfortable.

Furthermore, she'd have to take care of all the inconvenient bodily functions that came with a human body. She had been mortified when pee had squirted out while she was busy handling business last night. She hadn't had to deal with anything like that ever since turning into a fairy and it caught her off-guard. She was extremely glad once again that she didn't have to live as a human.

She could faintly hear several responding wolf howls coming from much further away and she thought of the wolf pack she'd been stalking before she went into heat. Maybe they were having a territorial showdown with another pack?

"Why are the wolves howling so early in the morning?" she asked amidst a yawn and closed her eyes. Sher could show her what was happening. She was mildly disappointed that she wasn't there to see the action live and in person. It had truly been epic the two times she'd seen it.

She saw the man of her dreams moving through the tropical forest surrounding Sher island, slowly approaching the lake. It was obvious at a glance that he had an amazing, tall and lean body. Was her heat still going strong even in broad daylight? Not even the galaxy's hottest male models were built like that.

She got an even clearer look when the man stopped by the lakeside, placing his right hand on the invisible barrier. He was dressed simply; in black pants tucked into black boots, a gray lace-up shirt and a black cape draped over his shoulders. Short grey hair framed his handsome but rugged face.

Her eyes popped wide open as she sat up. She saw him lightly tap on the barrier with a finger twice, before taking a step back and waiting. This wasn't another wet dream, was it? Was there really a man standing right outside the island? She couldn't put it past Sher to try and pull a fast one on her at this point.

Sher didn't react to her thoughts and she sighed. Sleep was momentarily forgotten and she didn't even bother with breakfast before quickly wearing her flower garments. She then turned invisible, flashing towards the Southern edge of the island.

She needed to confirm it with her own eyes. Well, seeing is believing and see him she did. His eyes were already trained on her as she got closer to the raised clearing a bit away from the ledge. She met his sharp eyes and squeaked, instantly diving behind the closest tree to hide.

She waited for about a minute and hesitantly peeked over a branch to see if he was still looking her way. He was. She hid again and held her breath, not daring to move. What kind of monster had shown up at her door? Not only could he see through her invisibility but he could also run with an inhuman speed. She had never seen anyone move like that, not even a manozore.

"Hello, young female. I am Rex Wolfborn," he said, introducing himself. "I would like to speak with you if you don't mind." He didn't raise his voice but she could hear him clearly as if he was standing right next to her. She couldn't help trembling a little.

She tried to open her mouth but no sound came out. She could feel an almost instinctual fear taking over her and right away, she could tell what it was. She'd seen it too many times to count. It was the fear that all prey had when facing off with a predator.

Her heart pounded furiously, and she cursed herself for getting turned on. She wasn't in the right state of mind to be meeting anyone right now, especially not a man. She didn't want a hot guy anymore. Was it too late to wave away the bad karma?

"You don't have to come beyond the barrier but do you mind showing yourself?" he asked after waiting for a long time without receiving a response.

"Why are you here?" she forced herself to ask and patted herself on the back. She couldn't afford to show any weakness. "What do you want?"

She took deep breaths after speaking, willing herself to calm down. There was no need to freak out. She was safe inside the barrier. But why did such a terrifying person come knocking on her door?

"You went into heat and yet you have no capable males by your side," he replied as if he couldn't figure it out. "Are you on your own, little one?"

"Wh... why do you ask?" she silently cursed herself for stuttering. "Is there a problem?" She was first stunned and then ashamed that he could tell that she was in heat. She had only known it herself just two days prior.

She was even more terrified of him now. Her instincts were telling her to either flee or freeze, and she had always been one to choose the former. Perhaps she'd been prey all along?

"Don't be scared, little one. I promise not to hurt you," he said in a placating tone, trying to seem as harmless as a fly. Not that it worked. "Would you please come out and talk?"

There was no way she was going to ignore her innate warning signals but she needed to get some more information about the planet they were on. A local was right in front of her to provide it and she'd be a fool to pass up the chance.

She would play along for now and get all the intel that she could from him. She would then move into Amir with Sher for a year or so, just until the coast was clear. Rex was clearly a dangerous character that she should steer clear of. She wanted to come out and get it over with, but there was one minor problem.

"I can't." She definitely couldn't let him discover that she was a teeny little fairy but if she took her human form, she would end up in her birthday suit. Was there no other way?

~°*°~

Please vote and comment :)