Invitations & Flowers

"Seriously, after the ups and downs I watched Lo go through with Karter, I know you and your girl will be fine," Cher assured me.

She had seemingly gotten us on the topic of Mili again, which she started giving me advice on.

And I won't lie, her advice so far has been really good.

"Honestly, it sounds unrealistic to imagine being in a relationship with someone for years—or even the rest of your life, and not expect to have any issues you know?" Cher suddenly said as she sipped on her drink.

I tilted my head slightly, I never thought of it that way.

"Yeah, that's actually a really good point," I said as Cher held her drink out for me.

"You really have to try this," she said, and I didn't hesitate to take the drink and try a sip.

I hummed to myself, "Wow—wait what is that? I might have to order me one now," I laughed slightly as I handed the drink back to Cher.

Cher laughed, "It was on the secret menu—I'll get the bartender to make you one next," she said as I took a sip of my usual Cosmo that I loved to order.

I nodded a few times, "Perfect," I said as I sat my drink back down.

And just like that, Cher and I continued on with our usual conversation, which seemed to easily flow with each other.

It was almost like we had been friends in another lifetime—especially since it felt like we were catching up instead of just now meeting tonight.

"Nah, but Pierce is really out for Karter's girl though," I laughed, which made Cher laugh harder.

"Right! The chocolates and stuffed bear on Valentine's Day was just a little too far—Karter almost lost it," she laughed even more.

I let out a few deep breaths, but my laughter only managed to grow, "I-I can't right now," I breathed out as I held my stomach, "How old is he again?"

Cher wiped her stray tears, "Ten—he just turned ten," she breathed out one last laugh, "But he's been at this for years," she added

I let out another breath before pursing my lips to hold back my laughter, "He's the rizz king for real," I added with a loose smile.

Cher nodded a few times, "On my soul he is—but never say that in front of Karter or she'll have a fit," she said as she chuckled a few more times.

I shook my head to myself, "I mean the Roblox username is insane—" I laughed again to myself, "—I aspire to meet this child one day," I added.

Cher's brows suddenly raised, and as soon as she pointed a finger at me—I knew she had taken my words literally.

I shook my head, "But I don't want to intrude or any—"

"Girl you are not intruding. Come stay on the island when you finish up with The New York Times, you could stay with me and postpone your flight," Cher said, basically inviting me to not only hang out more with her friends but also their family.

Is that intrusive?

I mean, I just met them, and I also don't want anyone to feel like I'm overstepping.

Cher suddenly shook her head at me, "You're an overthinker like Sloan too huh?" she jokingly nudged me before she said, "Trust when I say that it's really not that deep—no one cares if you join in on a casual dinner, swear."

I still managed to give Cher a tilted look, knowing that it still felt like I would be overstepping.

My stare alone managed to make Cher say, "Well, I already invited you, so you're coming. End of story,"