The Mystery Fighter III (20)

I only let myself be confused by his sudden appearance for a second before reality hit me again.

"Tell me about it," I mumble in response, primarily to myself. "I heard something lock into place after they shut this door behind me." 

I bang my fist against the metal door in front of me so that he can locate what I mean. "Find a lock, handle, or something on your side."

I furrow my brows. I knew we didn't have time for questions, yet I couldn't help but wonder about the impeccable timing. How was Julian here, in the middle of nowhere, coincidentally? As far as I was aware, and as far as our deal goes, he should be at home watching my sister right now.

"Uh ok... oh wait. Yeah, I definitely see a lock- God, Cass, this is a bulky old thing. How the hell am I...?" Julian mumbled the rest of the sentence to himself.

"Julian, how- why are you here? Now?" I brace myself. "Is everything fine at home? With Celine?"

"Everything is fine, Celine is all good. She's with mom."

In relief, I released the air I had unknowingly held in my lungs. The container seemed to exhale with me, a momentary respite from the encroaching chaos.

"As to why I'm here, I heard your crying and screams, and I came to the rescue," Julian said in his usual jocular tone.

I stare emptily at the container door in front of me, now rattling slightly at Julian's attempt to force it open. 

"Julian." I deadpan. I was getting so tired of how this day was playing out. I could entertain Julian's teasing remarks on an average day, but not today.

He finally dropped the witty facade. "Zayden sent me after you in his car."

I nod to myself. Of course, that's what he did. I would have done the same thing had the roles been reversed.

Zayden had sent Julian after me, and after the phone call earlier today, I could only guess he was in Range Lake right now. 

Suddenly realising what that meant with Pete and Cole retreating there, I clenched my eyes in silent frustration. I hoped my prediction was wrong after that call, but the answer was too obvious. "Does that mean Zayden is in Range Lake right now? Tell me you didn't bring Zayden with you from his apartment."

The silence from the other side of the wall confirmed my fear.

I clenched my teeth, feeling my heart race faster in response to the urgency of our situation. Being locked in a metal box didn't help the rising panic.

One problem at a time.

"Fuck," I mumble. I clear my throat. "Call Zayden. And tell him that they're coming."

"What?" Julian shouts back, now a little distance away from the container. "Cass, I'm trying to find something to pry the lock open with."

I grit my teeth, urgency pulsing through me. "Forget that and call Zayden!" My voice echoes, swallowed by the metallic confinement of the container, a tinge of desperation slipping into my words.

"Why?" Julian's voice sounded closer again, and his feet soon stopped on the opposite side of the metal wall.

Remembering Cole's orders to Pete, I continue. 

"Pete's crew and other gangs are now heading to RL to get rid of them. Tonight. Two men, Sal and Willtek, are waiting by the port, and they will meet Pete's crew by the old gas station. Tell Zayden that they have... shit." Cole told Pete that the guys would meet them at the gas station within two hours, but I do not know how much time has passed in this container.