The Mystery Fighter III (15)

~Julian~

Zayden's new phone lit up as messages appeared on the screen. 

I peeked up at the console where the phone sat, before glancing back at Zayden looking through the content of his overnight bags in the back seat. Not ten seconds passed before another round of messages made the phone vibrate.

«You want me to check the messages?» I asked as we sat parked at the bus stop next to the highway.

«It's fine. I'll be right back after taking a leak.»

My hand reached over to the console. «I'll just check them for you-»

Zayden's hand reached from the backseat and swatted mine away from the phone.

«I said leave it,» he grumbled.

I scoffed at his reaction and cocked an eyebrow at him in annoyance.

«What? Scared it's Cassie sending you those messages?»

I smirked at my brother's all too telling silence. It was nice seeing him flustered for once.

Settling back into the driver's seat, I crossed my arms over my chest.

«Has she been sending you any racy pictures lately, is that why you don't want me touching your phone?» I continued with a small smirk, knowing full well that wasn't the case.

Zayden's eyes met mine in the rearview mirror with an unimpressed look. I met his glare until he brought his attention back to the bags underneath him. He finally pulled out the power bank and the wire to the phone.

Zipping the bag back up, Zayden nudged his head to the phone and offered a lazy shrug. «Go right ahead. Check the messages if you're so curious.»

I imagined he held his breath as I reached forward and unlocked his phone. He still hadn't stepped out even though he had found what he was looking for in his bag.

Didn't he say he needed to pee?

I chuckled under my breath at his persistence.

This bastard.

«Damn, Zay. Try replying every once in a while,» I exclaimed as I scrolled through all the unopened messages on the phone. There seemed to only be a sum of three people that had the privilege of hearing back from this guy.

Ignoring the string of curses aimed at me from the back seat, I found the most recent messages.

«It's Brock,» I mumbled, not failing to notice the way Zayden's posture relaxed behind me.

«Update me on the situation when I come back,» was all he replied before backing out of the car and heading to some nearby bushes, suddenly uninterested in the situation. The fear of Cassie finding out where he was headed was enough to make him act all stressed out. It was truly ridiculous.