7. Time Gate

(This chapter is dedicated to fellow writer @wdhenning and his colourful entry for the ONC2024, Mars Needs Women. Another great read!)

Seven hugged Oscar and thanked him for his help, then returned to his quarters to carefully study all the information the librarian had provided. He broke off around midnight to catch a few hours sleep, then spent the morning revising what he thought might be the key points.

No solar, no hovercars, no memory chips and communication appeared to require the use of a multitude of actual wires. Primitive wasn't the word for it! Once again, he marvelled how such a society could have developed time travel. Still, he expected he would find out soon enough.

Taking Oscar's advice, he presented himself at the Senta an hour earlier than directed. The Time Gate and its associated facilities were housed deep inside the building, on a level lower than the one which housed the timeline holo.

He went to the Supply room first and showed the tech on duty some images of the clothes men were wearing in the Trafalgar timeline. Oscar had captured the pictures on one of his trips.

The tech studied the images, a slight crease between her brows. "I can't tell exactly what material is being used here, but the design should be easy enough to replicate. This is a pre-tech society, right?"

Seven nodded. "Yes."

"In that case, I'll use hemp. That's totally natural and has been around for centuries, far safer than using one of our modern synthetics." She scanned his body for the necessary measurements and programmed the synthesiser. In a few minutes, she was able to hand Seven a white shirt and a pair of dark grey trousers.

"Now the footwear." The crease on her forehead deepened. "A bit tricky, but I'll see what I can do."

She fussed over the machine again. "Now, let's make them black... and there we are." She gave him the shoes, also made from hemp, and suggested he get changed so she could see if any slight adjustments were required.

Seven fumbled a bit with the unfamiliar garments. He put the trousers on back to front the first time, until he realised what the odd seam at the front was for, but eventually he stood, fully dressed, before her. The clothes felt strange and baggy, he missed the support provided by his body suit, but he wasn't wearing this for comfort. He spun in a circle.

"What do you think? Will I fit in?"

"I think so." The tech couldn't help smiling. "You do look funny, though!"

"Thanks!" Seven shrugged but returned her smile.

Carrying his bodysuit, he made his way to the section where the Time Gate was housed.

He required another scan of his ID chip to allow access to the facility and he was greeted immediately he was through the door by a different tech wearing a white bodysuit.

The tech eyed him up and down, taking in his light-coloured skin and hazel eyes, then nodded in approval.

"I'm glad to see they've sent me someone with Caucasoid features, it means you'll fit into the England of this particular timeline much more easily."

He studied Seven more closely, comparing him to the small screen in his hand. He chewed on his bottom lip.

"These clothes are appropriate to the period but we'll have to change that hair colour. You'll draw too much attention with that shade of pink, and it's far too long. You'll find short hair is the fashion in this society."

He couldn't help smiling at Seven's look of dismay.

"Never mind, I'm sure it will grow back quickly enough when you return. In the meantime, I can make it blond? Or a light shade of brown? Let me see..." The tech flicked to a different screen. "Here we go! Here's one called strawberry blond. Seems fitting."

"All right," agreed Seven, reluctantly. He knew it was silly to worry about such a small thing, but he loved his pink hair, it had taken ages to get to that length.

"And lastly, let me check your ID chip." The tech reached for Seven's wrist. "Oh good, you've got it under the skin. That should be fine."

He checked his screen again.

"The Gate will be ready for you in ten more minutes. Let's get that hair sorted and you can be on your way."

The Time Gate never failed to strike awe into Seven's heart. A silver ring, two metres in diameter, appeared to hang in mid-air, though Seven knew it was firmly anchored on three sides. While inactive, the centre was filled with a grey fog-like substance slowly pulsating, which turned an iridescent blue when activated. The power needed to open the portal was immense, and Seven knew he would have only seconds to step through. No time for hesitation or second thoughts.

"We've narrowed the location down to one building. It appears to be a housing block, no doubt a camouflage arrangement. The portal will open on the building's roof at midnight local time. It's vacant, so it should be secure." The senior tech spoke in short sentences, as if to hammer home his points.

"The portal will reopen for your return, exactly three days after you arrive. If you need more time to complete the mission, it will reopen once more, ten days later, at midnight. That will be the final chance for you to return. Do you understand?"

"Yes sir." Seven thought he had better clarify. He didn't want to be stuck in a strange timeline forever by getting the date wrong!

"I'll have thirteen days in total then, sir, to complete the mission?"

"That's correct. In most cases, three days is sufficient to locate and terminate the mechanism, but occasionally there are... complications. That's why we have the fallback extraction point."

"I see, sir." Seven was confident he could meet the three-day deadline. It was a primitive society, how hard could it be?

"Now for the most important thing, your utility belt. I suggest you fasten this under your shirt. You don't want it to be visible."

Seven took the belt, surprisingly light for what it contained and fastened it around his waist.

The centre of the Time Gate began to pulse faster, the grey fog now whirling in an anti-clockwise direction. Seven's excitement grew to match.

"Right then, we're ready. Please approach the Gate, and step through as soon as I say the word 'Go!' I wish you a successful mission, Agent!"

A moment later, heart pounding, Seven heard the word Go! and stepped through into the whirling blue.

Everything went black.

Then he was stumbling awkwardly onto an uneven surface, struggling to find his balance. The portal vanished behind him and he was alone in a strange world. He drew in a deep breath, filling his lungs with the unfamiliar scents. The mission had begun.

A voice, alarmingly close, almost stopped his heart.

"Where the fuck did you spring from?"