14 - The Stupidest Man Alive

Start from the beginning

"What time?" he asks.

"Eight-ish?"

The corner of his lips thoughtfully swings to a side. "I might be late. Is that okay?"

"Sure."

"Anything I can get?"

I shake my head. "I'm cooking dinner, Olga is bringing my favorite cake, Daniel's got the champagne..."

"Great," he says and leans back. I force a smile when the girls' hands land on his shoulders again.
Then I get out of my seat and buy myself a drink.

***

My apartment smells heavenly on Friday—rosemary and roasted garlic. I braise the beef in the oven with a wine-gravy sauce and shake the potatoes. The salad needs more croutons. I grab a handful from the cupboard and toss them on the greens.

The black and gold balloons Olga sent earlier are floating by the window. I light the candles on my dining table for four, and dim the lights. The TV is playing my favorite lounge music.

Is my black, mini dress too tight? Too revealing? I check my reflection against the mirror above the couch. Well, I can always go to my bedroom and change...

The bell rings, and Olga and Daniel are the first to arrive. Daniel gives me a spin and makes me laugh as Olga places the ice cream cake in the freezer. Then Daniel gingerly presents me the bottle of Bordeaux he got for tonight and pops it open. As he pours everyone a glass, I drag Olga into a corner. "Have you taken the pregnancy test yet?"

"No," she whispers, and when I frown, she rolls her eyes. "I'm not ready to know, okay? I won't drink tonight."

"Olga..." I object.

"I'll take it tomorrow. Tonight is about you. Can we focus on you, please?"

I sigh and shake my head. She is impossible!

"What are you girls talking about?" Daniel asks, carrying our wines.

Olga gives me a warning look. "She's stressed about dating Nate," she says.

My jaw drops, but I'll take this blow.

"You have nothing to worry about." Daniel pats my arm. "You guys are already a thing. It was just a matter of time."

"Mm-hmm," I say and drink a big gulp from my wine. Then I turn to Olga. "Help me cut the roast?"

She grins and mouths me a silent thank you. I've given her the perfect reason to leave her wine in the kitchen and forget about it.

The three of us sit around the dining table and munch on some nuts as we wait for Nate. I'm already halfway through my second glass of wine, laughing at Daniel's gym adventures. My eyes fly to the window every time a car passes.

Finally, the bell rings. I can't help but grin as I jump up. My heart is fluttering. I'm dizzy... Olga and Daniel grin back at me as I hurry to the door and open it with the widest smile.

Nate is here...with two girls.

"Happy birthday, Abby!" he cries, throwing his arms around me.

An awkward chuckle escapes my lips. I'm standing like a wooden soldier with my arms glued to my sides while the super hot models walk into my living room like it's their catwalk.

Somebody kill me! Now!

"Great. Thank you, Nate." My voice falters like a flat tire as I take the wine bottle from his hands. Then I start making my way to the kitchen.