34 - May The Best Man Win

Nate and I share a stupid smile on our two-hour drive. The ceremony will be held Upstste, near Rhode Estate. Nate parks the car close to the church's gates, then walks around to open my door. He looks extra hot in his dark suit with a rosebud pinned on his lapel.

"We used to spend a month here in the summer with my grandparents," he explains, closing the car's door behind me. "Nana used to take us to this church on Sundays. The same priest who baptized us is conducting the ceremony today."

My heels crunch the pebbles as we walk along the path that takes us to the old stone building. Fresh mountain weather fills me while the afternoon sun heats my shoulders. I'm feeling alive here. The sounds of birds and wilderness overpower the guests' noises around us. A stream is swooshing somewhere behind the trees. There's salt in the air.

A fancy horse carriage awaits in the corner to take the bride and groom on a romantic ride or a photo shoot, probably after the ceremony. I narrow my eyes. Does Roman even like horses?

They stink... He would hate this. There should be a white, retro Aston Martin convertible here. Not a stupid horse carriage.

Not that I know Roman well. Maybe he loves horses.

I take Nate's arm and look up at the church. It feels familiar, as if I've been here before. Moss covers the base of the walls. The smell of freshly cut grass and jasmine lingers in the air. Pink rose petals lead us to the arched doors... Yet something feels off, just like the horse carriage.

The petals should be white, not pink.

I'm just being weird.

I suck in a deep breath and smile at Nate as we mingle near the door. "Aren't you supposed to be with the groom? You're the best man..." I glide my fingers up his stripy dark blue tie and tuck it into his jacket.

"It's just a title," Nate shrugs.

"What about the rings?" I ask, raising a brow.

Nate pats his pockets and spins around in panic. "Mom," he says. "She has them. I'll be right back."

I chuckle, watching him run from one guest to another, asking where his mom is. Leaving him in the garden, I sigh and step into the church.

Air conditioners blast cool air at full speed. I brush my flying bangs aside and shiver. The fresh, oaky smell makes me smile. Some of the elderly guests are already seated, shuffling the pages of the event flow. I give them a polite nod as I walk around the pews. My fingers drift across the pink roses and baby's breath that hang from the armrests. I know it's crazy, and it doesn't make any sense, but I swear it should be gardenias and peonies.

Not roses. And definitely not pink.

I take a seat on one of the empty benches close to the door. My phone chimes with a text from Nate: "I'm on best man duty. See you at the ceremony."

I send him a heart emoji and check my emails as the guests slowly fill the church. Kaz from production waves at me when she recognizes me in the crowd. I smile back, then turn my gaze to the empty altar. Moments later, everyone falls silent as all heads turn toward the doors.

Nate appears at the entrance. It's been minutes since I last saw him outside, but damn... Seeing him now, under a floral archway while the church organ plays a serene melody, takes my breath away. His green eyes find me in no time and start glowing. He shoots me a wink, then looks ahead. The bridesmaid in his arm is gazing at him with a dreamy smile. I can't blame her. Nate is a pleasure to look at.

An army of best men and bridesmaids follow Nate's lead and take their places behind the altar. I hold my breath when the melody changes into something stronger. The hair at the nape of my neck rises. The air around me suddenly feels thicker.