Tiny Tales - Nicknames

"Haitam?" Kaveh asked as they were walking to class, turning his head to face his friend.

"Yes, Senior Kaveh?" Alhaitham looked straight ahead as he responded.

Kaveh groaned and asked, "Why do you call me Senior Kaveh? I'm not that older than you."

Alhaitham glanced at Kaveh. "Do you dislike being called a Senior?"

Kaveh looked away. "I don't mind it, it just feels a bit weird. We act the same, you don't feel that younger from me. Calling me Senior makes me feel so old, like I'm a grandpa."

Alhaitham nodded and continued to walk, looking away from Kaveh. "I see. It's just a sign of respect I show people, not a big deal. I use it on everyone else older than me. Why do you call me Haitham?"

Kaveh answered, "Alhaitham is a bit lengthy, so I shortened it to Haitham. It's a bit more informal and it makes calling your name easier. I was thinking of calling you Al, but that seems a bit too short and informal, and to me it doesn't seem to fit your personality."

Alhaitham looked interested. "Oh, why would you say Haitham fits my personality?"

Kaveh pondered for a while. "Well, you don't act shy, but you don't act very energetic. You look very serious, and you are, for the most part. You tend to avoid big groups of people... Oh! You look very handsome but you treat most people like you couldn't care less about what they are talking about. Al is more for social people, in my opinion. Haitham could be for an introvert like you."

Alhaitham turned to Kaveh. "You think I'm handsome?" Kaveh's cheeks reddened.

"I just got that from some girls in the hallway. Don't think too much of yourself," Kaveh quickly responds.

Alhaitham chuckled. "I wasn't going to. Hmm... I suppose I should try and explain my nickname now. You're very energetic and hyper. You love to meet and talk to new people. You don't look too serious, but you don't look like the most upbeat person at first glance. Also, the girls in the hallway don't talk about you much, but you look nice. My words. I think Senior Kaveh fits everything I said."

Kaveh still doesn't look Alhaitham in the eyes, but he could hear pleasure in Kaveh's voice as he said, "I'll accept your description of me. Still don't see how Senior Kaveh fits that description, but I suppose that's because we both have differing opnions. Anyway, let's go to class now, it's nearly time." They both walked away.