S1 C3 - Just Like Before

As Kaveh looked at the night sky, naked and standing in a deep part of the lake that was located beneath the Palace of Alcazarzaray, he thought to himself, I'm so fucking stupid. Every time he even touched any part of his body, he could remember the moment when Karim touched it. There was no part of his body unscathed. He hated it. Mehrak and his claymore were waiting for him on land. Mehrak was a bit dizzy from being thrown to the ground, but the little robot was trying to stay there for his owner. Kaveh was quite thankful for Mehrak's presence, but he still couldn't get his dark thoughts out of his head.

Kaveh knew that he couldn't do anything about it. The pictures that Karim had taken with the Kameras... Karim said had ways of getting them plastered all over the city, and Kaveh wasn't willing on testing out that claim. Although being viewed as a male slut would be terrible, those images would make him in more danger to such disgusting people. Being wrapped around Karim's finger was bad enough. Karim had told him that the only way to stop him from sending out those nasty images was to just go back everyday. He wasn't allowed to bring his weapon, but more importantly, Mehrak. If he tried, Karim would send them out. Kaveh thought bitterly to himself, This is a load of bullshit.

The tears falling down his face began to stop as he realized that this was the way it would be. Everyday, getting raped, not being able to do anything about it. This pain, he would have to endure everyday. Crying would do nothing. No one could do anything to help him. He sobbed loudly, and Mehrak beeped in worry.

What is the point, he thought, of continuing any more? What's the point of making it through every day just to suffer at the hands of someone else? He hadn't thought much about his suffering before. He thought that being in debt was pain enough, but no. This pain hurt worse. Much worse. He wanted to take his weapon and stab himself in the chest, ending it all.

Eventually, his tears subsided, and he decided to head to Alhaitham's house. Even though he knew that the probability of it being open was unlikely, it was worth a shot. As he got out of the water and put on his clothes, he heard some moment coming from above. He looked up and saw Alhaitham. What's he doing here?

Alhaitham glided down to where Kaveh was and looked at him up and down, with an unreadable expression. Kaveh wondered what Alhaitham could be thinking. After a couple of seconds, Alhaitham asked, "Where were you? I've been looking for you for over an hour."

Kaveh nearly let out a sigh, partially of relief. He didn't see the bruises yet. Thank the archons that it was dark out. "Just had business with a man in the small village just next to the city. After that, I decided to bathe here." What was the point of telling him the truth? It wasn't like he cared. Mehrak beeped, protesting the lie.

Alhaitham noticed Mehrak acting annoyed. "Hmm... For over an hour at night? That's quite peculiar. May I ask what the project was about?"

"His wife is coming back from Liyue, so he wanted to gift her with a beautiful, much more complicated design of their house." Mehrak beeped again, frustrated.

Alhaitham says, "I can tell that you're lying, you know. Mehrak's protests are quite obviously signaling that you aren't telling the truth. I suppose I can't force you to tell me a honest answer though, so I'll leave you alone." He sat down and continued, "Since I spent a lot of time searching for you, I might as well take a short break. Tell me when you're ready to go." Kaveh thought it would feel super awkward sitting next to each other in silence, but it was very soothing. It was almost like when they were younger and they used to-No. Things were different now. But before he could stop himself, he blurted out, "Alhaitham, do you ever wish that we were young again? Back when we were..."

An expression flashed so quickly on Alhaitham's face, Kaveh thought he imagined it. It definitely happened though. The quiet scholar answered with his normal, unreadable expression, "Well, back when I was younger, I didn't have the knowledge I have now, but my relationship with you was a lot more simple. I admit I do miss that aspect of our childhood."

"You used to be so cute and small. You were a lot more polite too. Calling me by my respective age name, even though we are two years apart. I miss old you."

"I remember forgetting about our age gap because you acted so young. Sometimes I viewed you as a child. Maybe that's when I stopped testing you politely," Alhaitham said, unfazed.

Kaveh shook his head. "No, I know when you started viewed me as a child. You treated me as such. You stopped being polite a day after I moved in."

Alhaitham paused. "...Yeah, yeah I did, didn't I?"

Kaveh yawned, tired. "Anyway, thank you for talking with me, I really needed it. I think I'm ready to leave now. It's really late, and I'm tired." It was nice, having this conversation with him. They hadn't talked like this in so long. And it helped get his mind off of Karim.

Alhaitham stood up and gave a hand for Kaveh to use. "Let's go home now. " Kaveh pulled himself up. Alhaitham picked up Kaveh's weapon for him, and Mehrak floated beside the two men. Then they all walked to the house in silence.