chapter 13

ever since jean found out about the relationship between you and connie, he'd be lying if he said he didn't feel some type of way. he specifically told connie not to pursue his sister in any way because of how he did women but apparently connie ignored his wishes and now jean was gonna have to say something to him about it.

"what did i tell you about fucking with my sister, connie?"

"all we did was kiss—"

"i don't care. leave her alone, she doesn't need to be in your bullshit or whatever the fuck."

"she's grown, i'm grown. what's the issue?"

"the issue is that she's my family and i wouldn't wanna see her hurt especially over a man. now to see her hurt over you? i'd definitely beat your ass. she's innocent, pure, and just an all around good girl so i don't need you fucking that up.. like everything else."

"the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"you know what i'm talking about." connie couldn't protest but he really wasn't about to let jean's words pull him away from you. he was just thinking of ways to be sneaky about it.

"whatever man, i get it. just don't be tryna lecture me like i'm some kid."

"keep it up and i'm gonna beat your fuckin ass like one." connie let out a slight chuckle, which did the same for jean so the tension went away after they got to doing their thing.

meanwhile, you had just gotten off work and wanted to do some shopping before coming home so you went to the mall. after buying a few pieces of clothing, you went to your favorite shoe store to look and see what sneakers you wanted to another time but what happened as you were browsing was something you had not expected.

"y/n?" you looked up and saw your ex, zayvion and you froze. you were sure that after the breakup, you'd be free of him but apparently you were terribly mistaken because now he gotten a job at one of your favorite stores. you knew he worked there because of the uniform but you questioned if it was because he knew it was your favorite store and he was trying to find a way to see you again.

"zay...you um, work here now?" he nodded. "when?"

"been here for about a week. was kinda hoping to run into you." he smiled. "how you been?"

you gulped. "good, you?" you were only keeping small conversation to be nice but you were breaking down on the inside and wanted to cry.

"great, thank you." there was silence so you took that as an opportunity to leave quickly.

once you made it home, connie and jean were sitting on the couch talking and greeted you as you came in with your bags. you weren't really in the mood so you went straight to your room.

"can i check on her at least?" connie looked to jean after the conversation they had. jean obviously didn't want that right now.

"no." jean got up and went to your room to see your bags on the floor and you were on your phone. "you alright?"

"yeah."

"did you enjoy the shopping?"

"i did until i didn't. i saw zay."

"zay? he works at the mall now? since when?"

"he said about a week. but i didn't stay long enough to ask him anything else." even though it happened a bit ago, you still felt traumatized from what happened. jean didn't really know what else to say. you were a hard person to comfort because you didn't necessarily display how you felt and kept everything in your head instead.

"it's good you walked away, you don't need that right now."

"right." it was a bit of silence before jean left your room and you started looking at what you bought and put the stuff away after. hours had passed and you had fallen asleep before there was a knock at your door that woke you up. you got up from your bed to open the door to see connie standing in the doorway.

"hey."

"hey, i thought you were gone by now." connie shook his head.

"nah, couldn't leave without seeing you." he smiled and your struggled to hide your smile. "plus your brother stepped out so i'm sneaking around right now."

"cool." you stepped aside to let him in your room before closing the door behind him.

"i saw you looked upset earlier, what happened?" connie sat in the bean bag chair in your room.

you didn't feel like reciting what happened again but you did anyways. "i went to the mall and saw my ex. it bothered me so i left."

"did you talk to him?"

"only because he was talking to me and i didn't wanna be rude. but i didn't talk to him for long." connie wanted to ask about what happened because you never told him but he didn't wanna feel like he was overstepping. but he tried to anyway just to see.

"what happened between yall? if you don't mind me asking."

"he cheated and i saw."

connie looked surprised. "you saw? saw what?"

"him cheating, duh."

"no like what did he do exactly?"

"eating another bitch out. i wanted to go to his house to surprise him because his parents were gone that weekend. we dated for two years." connie could tell how mellow and somber your voice had become and understood this was a difficult topic for you.

"i'm sorry."

you scoffed. "me too..." you mumbled.

"anyways—" the both of you went silent at the sound of the door opening which indicated that jean was back and connie had to leave your room. "this shit is getting annoying, for real." he commented as you tried to shove him out as quickly as you could before jean could get angry at anyone.

"bye, connie." you shut the door behind him.

"i thought you said you were leaving?" jean placed some bags down on the counter.

"i'm leaving now tho so i don't wanna hear your shit, j." and with that, connie left the apartment.