Chapter 6: Sneaking Out

Start from the beginning

Al stomped out of the room after a parting glare in her honor.

"He doesn't really like me, does he?" Summer said.

"Well, you did steal his dagger," Ida said, looking rather pleased with the fact.

"You took mine, so it was only fair."

"Fair..." Leon mumbled, shaking his head.

Opening Summer's bag, he checked every single book as if expecting to find hidden weapons among their pages. He was gentleman enough to leave checking the clothes to Ida.

When he was done, he held out his hand to Summer. "The blade."

She sighed, but gave it to him. What a bother. She would just have to borrow one of theirs again until they gave hers back.

"Alright, Summer," Leon said, giving the dagger to the dark beauty. Ida. "This will be easier if you just cooperate. That means no stealing knives, and no sneaking out alone."

"I will. Under one condition," she said.

"You're not exactly in a position to negotiate," Ida said, her gaze draining of any hint of humor.

"I beg to differ. I could make the journey to the capital very difficult. It'll be easier on both of us if I go along willingly."

Leon opened the window and looked out for a moment. The silence ate at Summer's nerves. They didn't really have to do anything for her. They could simply bind her limbs and throw her on a horse. But she had to try. She couldn't just leave her friend behind to fend for herself.

Leon closed the window and looked at her. "Let's hear it."

"Rose," she said. "I want you to leave her enough money so she can take care of herself and her son. I'll pay you back as soon as I can, I promise."

The auburn haired man, Felix, cleared his throat. He looked distinctly uncomfortable.

"I see." Leon paused. "She will be taken care of. You shouldn't make promises you can't keep, however. How do you think you will pay me back if you're locked up in prison?"

"I will not be locked up in prison," she said. "The witness to the theft will no doubt clear me off."

"You seem very sure," Ida said.

"It's kind of difficult to forget someone with eyes like these," Summer pointed to her eyes. Thankful for the first time in her life for their distinctive color. "So yes, I'm quite certain he'll clear my name."

Leon's dark gaze pulled her in. It was like looking into a dark well. Deep. With no light in sight. And if you take a risk and jump in, you may drown.

He wasn't good looking like Al, neither was he gentle looking like Felix. His nose was hawkish, his black hair in unruly waves and his beard untamed. A scar cut through his left eyebrow, another one on his right cheekbone. His face was not of someone who'd led a comfortable life. The only word that came to Summer's mind was 'wild'. He was wilderness barely tamed.

"Maybe so," Leon said. "Maybe so."

Summer wasn't about to take him at his words. She didn't have even the slightest bit of respect for authorities. The fact that he'd used the threat on Rose to keep her a willing captive only proved that her mistrust in them wasn't misplaced.

She had to find a way to check with Rose and Berry, to see if they'd be fine. At least until she could get back from her journey.

***

From that point on, however, it proved difficult to sneak out. Apparently, Leon didn't trust her word any more than she trusted his. Wise man.

The following days were pure torture for Summer. They had her set up in a new room with a window as far away from trees as they could get. Guards were posted at her door and below her window. Even if she wanted to sneak out, she wouldn't have been able to.