Chapter 6

I'm working with Everest now. I'm a bit nervous, because Mr. Jimmison has been watching me from his porch the whole time. I stop lunging Everest and fill one of the buckets with grass hay and the other with water. I come out of the paddock and latch the gate behind me.

"Hey, Katie. Come here." Mr. Jimmison says. I follow him to an old shed. He take a dusty sheet off of some thing. I cough, due to all the dust, before realizing what's in front of me: It's a saddle!

"It's yours." he says. I look at him to see if he's joking, and he's not!

"Thank you, sir! I promise I'll pay you back and-"

"Don't pay me back. Just keep on doing what your doing, with that horse." He says. I smile and run outside to put it on Everest. He looks back to see what I just put on him. The cinch barely fits, but it works.

I attempt to lunge him, with it on, but he spooks and tries to run away. Even though I tighten my grip on the line, it slides through my hand and he's loose. hen I look down at my hand, I notice the burn the line left on my skin.

I grab the lunge line from off the ground and stop him. The second time is better. He trots on a circle and even goes the other direction. I ask him to canter, and he does so willingly. He's such a good pony! I think I'm in love with him.

I take the saddle off of him and let him loose. I take the saddle and saddle pad back to my house. My house is a ten minute walk away, so my arms are extremely tired from carrying the saddle. 

"Where did you get that saddle?" my mom asks me, as I walk in.

"Mr. Jimmison gave it to me." I say with a smile. She looks at me in disbelief. I giggle at her expression and walk up to my room. I clean the saddle and cinch. I can't believe these are mine. Mr. Jimmison actually has some good in him.