Chapter 4

"So, Katie. What was all of that stuff for?" mom asks me as I walk into the house.

"Oh, I got a job." I reply, coolly. Mom turns her head to the microwave when it start to beep. I assume she made pop corn. I wait for her to pour the popcorn in a bowl, then steal some.

"Doing what, exactly?" She asks. A car pulls up in the drive way. It's my dad! He's a business man and I barely get to see him.

"I'll tell you at dinner. Dad's home!" I chime.

I run outside and hug my dad. Mom starts on the dinner a few minutes later. We all sit and eat at the table. It's awkwardly quiet. I can't help but break the silence.

"So, mom. You asked me what my new job is so, here you go. I'm taking care of Tom Jimmison's horse." I say. Dad nearly chokes on his food and mom looks at me like I'm crazy. 

"You got a job for Tom Jimmison?" mom nearly shouts. I flinch, since she usually doesn't raise her voice.

"Yeah. Now, I know that he can be scary, but he's really not that bad of a guy." I say, trying to sound convincing. My dad raises an eyebrow, telling me that I'll have to be more convincing than that. I'm not even sure if I believe my statement myself!

"SCARY? No, he's dangerous and mean and... abusive." mom spits out. I stand up with my plate in my hands.

"I'm going to finish my dinner in my room." I grumble, "I'm seventeen years old, and I don't see what's wrong with me getting a job." Why do they disagree with everything I say?

I'm almost an adult. I'm sot stupid. Am I? Don't answer that, it rhetorical. But they can't control everything I do. I'm glad to be working with Everest.