Chapter 24

Today is the horse show. I'm going to be competing in the 4'0 jumping class then barrel racing. I load all of my tack into the truck then wait for Angie.

Her mom drives her over. I load Everest into the trailer and she loads Pilate. He seems so happy now. He must've really missed Angie.

I drive her over to the fair grounds where we both meet up with Elis. I unload the horses and tie them to the trailer.

Angie grooms and saddle up Pilate. It's almost heartbreaking to think of him being so sad again. I look to my right and see Allison, walking towards me.

"Um, Hey, Katie." she awkwardly says.

"Hi, Allison." I say the same way. There is a moment of silence before she speaks again.

"Listen. I'm so sorry for the fight and the whip. The whip was an accident and the fight... well, that was my fault." she says.

"Listen, the fight was my fault. It's just... I don't know what happened. I didn't know that you were in love with Cameron. If I knew that, I wouldn't have asked him on a date." I reason.

At this time, we are both trying to hold back tears, but failing. "I'm sorry." we say in unison, before bringing each other into a hug.

I finish tacking up Everest them walk him to the round ring to warm up. When it's my class I enter the arena and canter over the first jump.

We fly over the oxer then make a smooth landing. her come the last three jumps. I count my strides before he jumps, making sure that the timing is perfect.

We go over the in- and- outs before approaching the last jump. At that moment it feels like everything is in slow motion.

Everest fly's over the last jump and we get a clear round. I give him a big pat on the neck before walking out of the arena.

 All of the jumping competitors are called back into the arena. And... I won first place! I'm handed the pretty, blue rosette and put it on to Everest's bridle.

I'm so happy! I can't believe we won. When I go back to the trailer I'm showered with hugs and 'congratulation's' by Angie, Elis and Allison.

I'm glad that Allison and I are friends again.