44 - The Second King's Plea

The king's tour went on for over a year—he was eager to garner as much support as he could, to draw up the firmest plans that could be conceived, so as not to repeat his brother's woeful expedition three years prior. Thus, he did not come to Samnew until the winter was halfway through. Awldano received him with all the grace and poise the king would expect, though he did not expect to get much more from his visit. That, after all, was Karvalo's country. Nonetheless, he had come to ask for more, and ask he would.

'Awldano,' he said, standing before Awldano in his chair, 'Lord of Samnew, your king calls upon you. The earls of the north are rebelling, and we must stand together to meet them, lest their warmongering imperil us all. My requests are threefold: firstly, that you swear to me a warband of no less than twenty-four fighters, preferably your finest; secondly, that you offer likewise three months' dole to keep them strong and hale; and thirdly, that you offer me a place in your hall, to be held until I choose to unhold it.'

'I will meet only one of your requests,' said Awldano. 'You are welcome to stay in my hall, O king, but you are to take nothing from it.'

'Then let me make one further request: tell me, son of Karvalo, how you came to hold this lordship. I have heretofore chosen not to look at the matter, but my eyes may yet be opened. Past wrongs may yet be righted.'

'So they may, but tell me, son of Arkelo, how many battles can you fight? It is best not to shoulder too many at once, and least of all those which are easily avoided. Take comfort in my hall, king, and let us not part as foes.'

'So be it.'

The king stayed in Awldano's hall for three days. Thalo spent most of that time avoiding him, as was his manner, though he did not need to, for the king never sought to meet him.

'What of this Thennelo man?' one of his followers had said.

'What of him?' the king had said in reply. 'I met him at the last lawmoot, and let me tell you: that man is nothing but words, and even they are lacking.'

After leaving Samnew, the king went straight on to Pearmol, where Karvalo gave him much the same reception, and then carried on up the coast until he came to Oydnawl, where his army was mustering. There he would see the rest of the winter through before marching forth. And as he stood one evening beneath the setting sun, his gaze turned northwards, he saw ahead of him his glory, his birthright, and his destiny.

'Father,' he said to himself, 'this is your kingdom, and so it is mine. Nothing short of death will keep me from it.'