11 - Lying and Laying

Thalo spent the rest of the summer drifting his way westwards, first through Syenavol, then through Noynavol, until he came into Latavol. It happened one day, while he was in the southernmost reaches of the earldom, that he stopped to bathe in a river. He took off his clothes, waded in, and ducked his head beneath the water, but when he came up and opened his eyes, they nearly shut again for good. Sat on the riverbank he saw fox-fanged Knale once more, clad in his courtliest silver coat, his golden eyes glowing in the morning twilight.

'You again!' said Thalo. He flapped his arm and splashed about in the river, trying to scare the fox off, but it remained seated and still. 'Why do you haunt me?' When Knale said nothing, Thalo continued, 'You're no humble fox, are you? What else, then? Some spirit sent to torment me? What's your wicked work?'

Again, Knale said nothing, but now he stirred from his seat, trotted over to Thalo's bag on the bank, and upon seizing it in his jaws, he skipped away. That was Thalo's treasure bag, in which he kept the jewel of Lammam, and also what little cash he held.

'Thief!' said Thalo, and he sprang out of the river, threw on his clothes, and spurred Ondayo into pursuit.

Thalo followed Knale for the better part of the morning until they came to a nearby village called Belrenn. It was four big houses around a well, all surrounded by farmland, except for a forest on one side. The whole place was eerily quiet. Though it could have housed a hundred people or more, it seemed to be completely abandoned. That was because it was. The well had recently dried up, forcing the locals to find new homes for themselves.

From the middle of the village, Knale dashed into one of the houses. Close behind, Thalo pulled Ondayo up and followed him inside. Within he found a man, big in every direction—tall, broad, and round. He lay sleeping in the middle of the floor, beside the firepit, having lain down to ease his aching back. At the man's feet lay Thalo's treasure bag, but no fox was to be seen.

Thalo kicked the man awake. 'Who are you? Where did the fox go?'

The man scowled up at him. 'First tell me who you are, a stranger who has come into my home.' He did not stand up to speak.

'Thalo,' said Thalo.

'Hello, Thalo. Why are you intruding in my house?'

'I followed a fox. It came in here with my bag.' Thalo showed the man his bag. 'I have it back now, but where's the fox?'

The man's eyes widened. 'That is a concerning omen.'

'How so?'

'A stranger guides a stranger. Foul intentions guide foul faces. I want no part of this, Thalo man, lest you bring calamity to my house.'

'I've no intention of bringing you calamity.'

The man scoffed. 'I cannot trust the words of one so tall, for their tales are surely taller.'

'I think you'd be the taller of us, if only you stood up.'

'But that is not where we find ourselves. Get out of my house, tall fellow.'

Thalo went back outside. As he stepped into the sunlight, something caught his attention in the woods. There he saw Knale again, now in his elfin skin, dressed in his little skirt and glinting rings, just as he was when they met back at Klagenn nearly two years prior. Possessed by an insatiable need to approach, Thalo went to him, and as he drew near, Knale retreated into the forest. He was easy to follow, however, for it was as if a pale light shone from his hair, leading Thalo through the shadows. They soon came to a clearing, where Knale stopped and sat upon a rock beside a small pond. That was a most marvellous place, quiet and ethereal, the sunlight shimmering on the surface of the water, casting a beautiful glow over the whole area.