17 - Yorlayvo

Our man in the middle of things will now be a chap called Yorlayvo, who was Karvalo's choicest thane and closest companion. Though he was a prominent man at Pearmol, he was not so by birth. His parents were both from a land called Sleydesya in the south, further south even than Baklalonn or Gonnalonn. His father was named Alsyeo, and his mother was named Yoldea. It happened that Yorlayvo was conjured in his mother's womb at a time of terrible strife in that land, and his father, being a servant of an earl, was slain before Yorlayvo was born. So did Yoldea flee pregnant from her homeland, fearing for her life, and for that of her unborn son.

Yoldea travelled destitute for a time, until she came to Syorbak down in Arlonn—Yorlayvo was then nearly two years old. There she met a woman called Aydha, a daughter of Thambrano Korreonnan, who was a gloried warrior of Pearmol and a long-serving retainer to Thyomalo Eyrannan. She had come to Syorbak in Thyomalo's company for the lawmoot that year, though she ended up doing little of any practical use for him. On the evening of Thyomalo's arrival in the town, Aydha chanced upon Yoldea trudging through the lesser roads, Yorlayvo coughing in her arms, and pity beset her. She offered Yoldea every kindness she could, but Yoldea accepted only her coat and hat, for her warmest garb swaddled her son. Aydha said this was the very least she could give.

'If the course of your heart should change,' she said, 'seek me out in the king's courtyard.'

'They won't let so grotty a woman as me past even the outer gate,' said Yoldea.

'No matter! Say you seek Thambrano's daughter, Thyomalo's friend, and the way will surely open.'

So they parted.

On the following morning, Aydha awoke in her booth to find Yoldea standing above her. She said she could not put Aydha's generosity out of her mind, and that she wished to thank her properly. Aydha rose from her bench, placed a hand on Yoldea's shoulder, and refused this.

'There is no need to thank me,' she said, 'and least of all while I remain undressed. It would have been shameful of me to pass you by unmoved by your plight, for you have clearly suffered at the hands of blind-eyed fate.'

'That is to say the least of it.'

Then Yoldea told Aydha her tale of woe. She spoke of the strifes of her homeland, the murder of her husband, and her weary way to Syorbak.

'Such tales are too often told,' said Aydha. 'Come, let us ensure you need tell no more.'

Then the pair got to talking, and this went on for the better part of the day, and also the following three, until the lawmoot was done and Thyomalo was ready to leave for Pearmol. Aydha went to him and asked whether Yoldea could go with them.

'I haven't so much room on my boat,' said Thyomalo.

'Tell me this, then,' said Aydha. 'If I surrender my spot, and I walk with her to Pearmol, will you let her into your hall?'

It should be mentioned that Thyomalo was notorious for keeping a rather homelier hall than most, and his penchant for the unrefined was a matter much discussed among his peers.

'I reckon so,' he said. 'If she dishonours me, however, so do you, and it would pain me to be so wounded. Let it not come to pass. Otherwise, we can live and be merry.'

'Merrily!'

Then Thyomalo set sail, and Aydha walked the long road home with Yoldea at her side, Yorlayvo yet clutched in his mother's arms. When they came there, Yoldea petitioned Thyomalo herself. She told him she had been a woman of high status in her homeland, brought low only by misfortune beyond her means. Thyomalo asked her to walk to him with poise, and this she did.