12 - The Ruin of Moyr

Thalo followed Knale for several days, travelling eastwards through Latavol, Syagavol, then back into Eylavol, where he was now an outlaw. Knale said nothing as they went. They spent each day travelling in silence, walking only the wildest ways, and hearing no chatter besides that of the birds. Each night, when they stopped to rest, Thalo tried to question Knale. The information he had yielded at Belrenn—though enough to drag him all the way back to Eylavol—was sufficiently little to leave him wanting. Of course, he wanted to know where they were going and why, but there was much else to be asked. What wonders had the elf beheld? To what ancient knowledges was he privy? If any at all, he gave Thalo none of it. Yet he followed him all the same, for he could not help himself.

After twelve days of this, as Thalo's rations were dwindling, they came at last to a wooded hill overlooking a small village called Moyr, in the southern stretches of Eylavol. There, Knale pointed Thalo to the village and told him to take a night's rest.

'That seems unwise,' said Thalo. 'I'm a wanted man in these parts.'

'Do as I bid,' said Knale, shaking his hips, 'and you will be wanted the world over.'

Then he pranced away in the evening twilight.

Thalo did as he was told. He went down the hill to a little house standing higher than the others, and there he called out for a welcome. A short, round woman came to meet him.

'Who are you?' said the woman.

'Thalo,' said Thalo. He made a poor outlaw. 'Who are you?'

'Rara. Why are you shouting at my door, Thalo man?'

'I'm seeking a night's lodging. What do you say?'

'Will you rob us? Will you kill us?'

'No.'

'Then come inside.'

Thalo went in. There he met Rara's husband, a right fool named Oggelo, and he told them he was on the road after being forced out of his home, although he did not reveal any identifying details. They gave him a hearty meal and some warm blankets, and invited him to sleep.

'You really do look like you could use it,' said Oggelo, 'so thin-limbed and haggard like.'

Thalo said nothing to this and went to bed.

*   *   *

While Thalo settled in for the night, Knale stole into the moonlit hills for a long-awaited meeting. In the shadows of a small hollow, he found the cave he sought and ventured forth into the darkness.

'Klovo,' said Knale. 'Are you here?' He received no reply, but heard in the depths a disgruntled grumbling. 'Klovo, awake! You have a guest. Be a good boy and meet him.'

Klovo, Nawko's delve-doomed troll of a son, arose from his sleeping spot and loomed up, enormous in the confines of the cave.

'Feydo?' he said. 'When did you become so rude?'

'Oh, no, Klovo, no. I am no fear-flighted finch. I am your Auntie Knale!'

'A fell name. Why do you harry me in my home?'

'Well, I come concerning Feydo, as it happens.'

'What of him?'

'He is dead.'

Klovo's breathing immediately became taut. 'What?'

'Again, he is dead.'

'But when? How?' Klovo fell silent, then stepped towards Knale, leaning in the entrance of the cave. His eyes bright with wrath, glowing, gleaming in the gloom, he said, 'Was this your wicked work?'